90 mm lens

steve_barry7

Wondering if anyone has a preference among the following 3 lenses......

90 mm f8 Schneider super Angulon

90 mm f8 nikkor-sw

90 mm f6.8 rodenstock grandagon- n

I usually shoot 5x7 but can't afford to always shoot it so I bought a 6x9 roll back and am in the process of deciding on a lens to use with it.

Thoughts?

<p>I had a 90mm Super Angulon and traded it in for a Caltar 90mm f/6.8 (same as the Rodenstock). It's a great lens. It's definitely brighter, which helps. It also covers 5x7 fine. It's my most used lens with a 6x17 back, giving a normal field of view vertically, and wide horizontally.<br>

I'm sure the Nikon is a good lens as well, but I would go for the faster one, especially if you don't have a fresnel on the camera.</p>

<p>I have a Fujinon 90/5.6 SW<strong>-D</strong> and would highly recommend that you consider it. It's brighter than any on your list.<br /> Its image circle is 236mm, which will cover 5x7 with some movements. It's in a Copal 0 shutter.<br /> The IC is much larger than the Grandagon-N 90/6.8 (221mm) and 1mm larger than the Nikkor SW 90/8.</p>

<p>I have Nikkor SWs in 65mm and 75mm, and find them to be excellent.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Steve, the normal focal length for 6x9 is 100 mm. If you have the three lenses you mentioned, try them out and then decide which <em>you</em> prefer. If you're going to buy one and not shoot it on 5x7, think about getting a less expensive lens with less coverage. For 6x9, a 235 mm circle is considerably more than enough.</p>

<p>Leigh, where did you get your coverage for the 90/8 Nikkor-SW? I ask because I have two Nikon LF lenses catalogs that say it covers 154 mm at f/8, 235 mm at f/22.</p>

The SA has a very sharp and contrasty look (I prefer it), the nikkor

is a bit more tame for sharpness and contrast, and the color

more natural to my eyes. I've owned both, and had the

opportunity to borrow my friends Grandagon. My opinion is this

lens is sort of between the prior lenses in terms of

charactoristics. All are superb. I opted to keep an f/8 SA for its

size though.

<blockquote>

<p>Leigh, where did you get your coverage for the 90/8 Nikkor-SW? I ask because I have two Nikon LF lenses catalogs that say it covers 154 mm at f/8, 235 mm at f/22.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi Dan,</p>

<p>Yep, that's what I have also.</p>

<p>I said the Fujinon IC @ 236mm was 1mm larger than the Nikkor 90/8.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Well . . .no. This model does not allow the use of bag bellows and I do not have a recessed lensboard. With the front standard so far back, using front tilt can be—fidley. I tip the bed down slightly and tilt the rear standard back to virticle . . .if I use any movement at all. this camera is a compact and light weight compromise. Another camera would have full features and more flexability in application, but would be largher and heavier. I shoot the pictures I can with the camera I have.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Consider Caltar in the same length if price is right. <br>

I have a Calument 90mm f/5.6 that I've been really happy with. It is essentially the same lens as the Rodenstock sold under the Calumet brand. <br>

I'd prefer the f/6.8 of any species when it comes to focus, but the smaller f/8 lenses have their assets as well. You're not going to go very far wrong with any of those or the fuji, but that's only if we'll all being honest. You may decide you have a favorite if you can use all of them.</p>

<p>Consider Caltar in the same length if price is right. <br>

I have a Calument 90mm f/5.6 that I've been really happy with. It is essentially the same lens as the Rodenstock sold under the Calumet brand. <br>

I'd prefer the f/6.8 of any species when it comes to focus, but the smaller f/8 lenses have their assets as well. You're not going to go very far wrong with any of those or the fuji, but that's only if we'll all being honest. You may decide you have a favorite if you can use all of them.</p>