Finding the right school

<p>I really want to become a photographer. There are no local community colleges close to me that offer a photography course, so I am trying to find something online. Several people have told me to take the professional photographer course offered by New York Institute of Photography. Has anyone has any experience with the institute? If so, will this course teach me everything that I need to know? I really do not know much at all about photography, but I really enjoy taking pictures and I have the passion to go further. </p>

<p>I made the mistake of trying that one. WAY too expensive for what you get, and there is no personal interaction. You can do much better with other online places if you have the discipline to do it that way. My favorite is www.ppsop.com, started by Bryan Peterson, who wrote the very popular book Understanding Exposure (along with several others). It's an extremely popular site for classes. He has a course based on that book, and there are many other courses there covering beginning, intermediate, and specialty photography, as well as Photoshop. I would highly recommend starting with the Understanding Exposure course. The instructors are all fantastic and the interface for loading photos and interacting with the instructor and other students is very easy and intuitive.<br>

You'll need a DSLR with full manual exposure capability to take the class, which is true of most photography courses.</p>

<p>I''m not sure that you need online courses as such but there is a huge wealth of information online about photography. And most of it is free. Sites like <a href="http://www.strobist.com">www.strobist.com</a> focus on lighting. The various equipment makers and software companies have tutorials online Photoshop, for example, and Photoflex has I think the "Photoflex School of Photogrpahy" on its web site. Adorama has tutorials on its web site. There's stuff all over YouTube. You have to decide what specific aspect of photography you want to learn and deal with it in bite-size pieces. There's too much to learn to learn it all at once. Also read every book you can find, starting with the Ansel Adams trio. If you are willing to travel, look into the Maine Media Workshops (formerly the Maine Photographic Workshops). They have everything from beginner classes to master classes, and a two-year degree program (possibly a full bachelor's degree by now). I've done one of their master classes, and wish I had taken the degree program 30 years ago.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I really want to become a photographer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What does this mean? Do you want to take better pictures? Or do you want someone to <em>pay</em> you to take pictures? If you want someone to pay you, what type of pictures do you want to take and have people pay you? If you are looking to run a profitable business taking pictures, you do NOT need photography classes, you need <em>business</em> classes. There are plenty of fabulous photographers doing photography as a hobby not making a nickel off the images they take. At the other end of the scale, there are plenty of so-so photographers making a living at photography because they understand business: marketing, sales, profit and loss, tax codes, liability and so on. In other words, the <em>business</em> of photography has very little to do with <em>photography.</em></p>

<p>In terms of improving one's skills behind the camera, it is usually better to try and find a mentor. As an example, if you want to shoot weddings, find a wedding photographer that will take you on as an assistant for a couple of years. If you want to shoot fashion, find a fashion photography. You might not get to shoot as much as you might like, but the point is to absorb as much as you can. I do a wedding seminar of sorts outlining some tips for beginners. The #1 tip for shooting weddings: rapport. Sure, you want to know how to handle a camera and get good exposures. But imagine taking wedding photos of a bride that really doesn't like you and you don't like her. What kind of cooperation are you going to get? No matter your skill with a camera, what kind of images do you think you will capture?</p>

<p>Beyond that, pick up a copy of the book "Light: the Science and Magic". That will begin your photography education!</p>

<p>Hi Kristein<br>

As an education with photography as the aim you could not do better than the Diploma of Visual Arts at the Tafe in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. See some of the world and pick up a diploma along the way. You can look at their web site for the official blurb (useless really as it is a sop to the government) but the course itself is one of the best in the world. I just finished the two year photography part of the course as an aid to migrating from film to digital.<br>

Broaden you horizons and see the world through your camera lens. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>you do NOT need photography classes,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now, that quote is too much out of context, but that's my view on the matter, too. Photography is not something that demands formal training (in fact you'd be better off without it - spend your time taking photos instead). Get out there and explore. Perhaps join a club, take a few workshops. John's advice is very sound. I know this does not address your question, but I don't like seeing people waste time and money on so-called photography 'education'.</p>

<p>"I really want to become a photographer."<br>

<br /><br>

1. You own a camera, so you are already a photographer. What you want is to be a good photographer.<br>

2. You don't need any course or qualification to be a pro photographer, you just need someone to pay you for your services.<br>

3. Attitude and a strong portfolio will make all the difference.<br>

<br /><br>

John makes some good points.<br>

<br /><br>

Training can certainly help, and speed up your learning process. The key for your progress is like others have said is taking photographs, get out there and start shooting. The beauty about having a course with you, either online or classroom based is that it will give you structure to your photo shoots. You will be learning the right things at the right time. <br>

<br /><br>

All skills, not just photographic skills are built up in layers. We all learn to walk before we can run.</p>

<p>I hope this helps

<p>I too had the idea that if I went to school for photography it would help me become a successful photographer. Biggest wate of money ever! They suckered me in to the online classes when I had intended on the on campus which was a waste of time. You can educate your self much better by reading and practicing. I am in a rut right now and and taking some advice I just read in this tread and am looking in to some business classes. Best of luck to you!!</p>

<p>'NESOP' (New England School of Photography), Boston. <br>

Yes, you can learn everything on your own; websites, books, trial and error, etc. or you can cut to the chase and learn what you need, hands on, from professionals, at a photography school.<br>

My wife attended in the late 80's and came out with more knowledge and experience than I acquired on my own in years. The one thing you can't get from websites and books is direct critique of your work in class from those in the profession. <br>

My best<br>

Ken</p>