How to use a Pentax auto bellows in an EOS system?

<p>I inhereted a Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows M set (double release), without a camera body or lens. I'm a Canon user, EOS 5D + Sigma 180 mm macro lens (among others) so my macro needs up to 1:1 are covered but I wonder what use I can make of the bellows and which accesories are needed? Can anyone give me a hint about this, thanks for your help. I still have some FD stuff lying around (non macro) but I assume that in the end it would be most convenient to buy a Pentax macro lens.</p>

<p>The auto mechanisms are totally different, of course, but the Pentax bellows can easily be adapted to fit on any EOS body with a simple and inexpensive Pentax K>EOS adapter. Then you can use it with Pentax K mount (or M42 with an additional adapter) lenses for macro work. Stop-down mode, naturally.</p>

<p>One way using your bellow to get to > to 1:1 to about 3:1</p>

<p>- Use a M42 to EOS adapter to attach the Pentax bellow to the 5D<br>

- (Optional) If you want to use your double release, you will need to get a old canon mechanical to electrical cable release adapter (T3 adapter). Also get a cheap 5D remote release from ebay. Ohm out and Spice the two cable together. <br>

- Get a reverse lens adapter for the lens mount that you want for the reverse lens. </p>

<p>Thanks guys. In the meantime I have done some extra searching and found the manual of the bellows on the Pentax website, and quite a lot of adapters.<br>

The bellows are Pentax K so I'll need adapters for this mount. I already found that there is a risk of the camera mirror hitting the back of the adapter or the back of the lens (bellows in this case) but that can be avoided by using an extension tube.<br>

The bellows have a way of mounting a lens in reversed position. I have 28 and 50 mm Canon FD lenses that I want to use but in order to mount these an FD to Pentax K adapter would be needed, these don't seem to exist in glassless versions so a reverse lens adapter seems the way to go. If I remember correctly the FD lenses can be persuaded to control the aperture through the aperture ring on the lens but that takes some wiggling/experimenting. Or perhaps the cannibalizing of a rear lens cover?<br>

In the past special microscope style lenses were made to be used with bellows. Does anybody know whether these are still available and if they can be mounted on a Pentax K bajonet?</p>

<p>Canon made a gadget called Canon Auto Macro Ring. It will allow you you to control aperture using cable release and aperture ring (for when the lens is reversed)</p>

<p>Mount a M42 to K-mount adapter to the front of the bellow, then you don't have a K-mount bellow any more. Then look for a M42 or M39 RMS adapter. </p>

<p>Hi guys, I just received the Canon EOS to Pentax K adapter and the Pentax K 52 mm reversal ring. The attached picture is taken with a FD 50/1.8 lens (reversed) at f/8.0. Camera is EOS 10D. BTW, the picture is (part of) the EOS 10D mode dial.</p><div>00aMhF-464745584.jpg.ade5497e321ee542e4e841bdf6f844da.jpg</div>

<p>And a picture of the complete setup. From left to right: EOS 10D, 12 mm extension tube, EOS to Pentax K adapter, Pentax Auto Bellows, Pentax K to 52 mm reversal ring, FD 50 f/1.8 lens reversed. I thought I'd post this in case someone searches the archives.</p><div>00aMhI-464747584.jpg.70334eeeed4964f2abd3418217c8583a.jpg</div>

• 3 months later...
<p>Jos, Thanks so much for posting this picture. I have the exact same bellows unit and was wondering if I could still use it. Do you not need to use the double-release cable? Can you use it without reversing the lens? I still have my old Pentax-K lenses so am wondering if I can use them. I'm thinking I could as long as the lenses are fully opened up. Any advice would be appreciated. (I need to know what extension tubes and/or reversal rings I need.)</p>

<p>Annie, there is a bit of a story behind this picture. The setup will be mostly used with an EOS 5D. I read at several places that a risk exists that the mirror of a full frame (Canon) body may hit the adapter. Since I have extension tubes lying around there is no reason not to use one but it is not needed when using a cropped sensor body. The adapter I use is a Kiwi Photo Lens Mount Adapter (LMA-PK_EOS). If you have a Pentax K-mount body it can be mounted directly on the bellows.<br>

The double release cable may come in handy but it is the older screw-type one so you will need an adapter to use it on a modern DSLR body. Since I can’t use it on the lens to close down the aperture I haven’t tried to use it. <br>

Mounting lenses in reverse seems to give better results than mounting the normal way. Apart from that glassless Canon FD to Pentax K adapters do not seem to exist so my only option was to use a Pentax K to 52 mm reversal ring (JJC RR-PK 52MM for Pentax).<br>

Pentax K lenses can be mounted directly on the bellows and they can also be reverse mounted, the bellows has provisions to do so. If memory serves me well lenses with 49 and 52 mm threads can be used.<br>

With an FD lens the aperture has to be closed manually so I have not tried the double-release cable. In case of a Pentax lens I’d try to use it to close the aperture. If the lens has manual levers that should be possible. I’m not familiar enough with the Pentax mount to tell if all lenses have these levers. In the case of Canon EOS/EF lenses the trick is to mount the lens, close the aperture and remove the lens with the aperture closed; keeping the aperture button pressed. I don’t know if a similar trick exists for Pentax or if it is even needed. Just give it a try.<br>

The adapters can be found on ebay but because the delivery times were quite long I chose a local vendor (<a href="http://www.cameranu.nl">www.cameranu.nl</a>) who could deliver the items in a couple of days but at a slightly higher price. The manual of the bellows can be found on <a href="http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/download-details/172">http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/download-details/172</a> most part is about the bellows with some text about the slide copier.</p>