best compact camera for a Santana concert.

<p>hello all, I am looking for recomendations as to what the best canon compact camera would be for a Santana concert. The venue allows cameras with non removable lenses so my DSLR and the M4/3 are out. I will be sitting in the tenth row from the stage. Thanks for your advice.</p>

I was thinking you didn't give enough information -- video or stills? why Canon? -- but the S100 seems to solve all problems. It has stereo audio and (unlike previous S models) can zoom during video capture. You already have DSLR and MFT so a small pocketable camera would add to your arsenal, unlike a G1x, which is similar in size to MFT.

<p>The venue does not allow video's - only stills, I am not much of a video person anyways. It doesnt have to be Canon I suppose but I shot a Canon DSLR so thought I would keep it in the family. Thanks for the suggestions, there must be some Black Magic there.</p>

<p>The super point and shoots. Larger sensor for better lowlight performance, and respectable lenses. The G12 is basically an S100 with a longer lens. Other ones to look at, besides the mentioned Fuji X100, are Panasonic LX5, Olympus X-Z1 (fast lens here!). The cool thing about a G12 is that you can use your Canon flashes on it. Looks funny, but it works. I borrowed a friend's P7000 to use with my SB800 and it worked rather well.</p>

<p>If you have to zoom, most of the compacts are like DSLRs with a variable aperture zoom lens. They get slower. If you are close, and can use the lens at its widest angle, then no problem. People have different tolerances for noise, so all in all, it depends on what you want, what size you might print, etc. I can get some great pictures with my S95 at night and in low light, but it's because I'm always using it at wide angle with its f/2 aperture. </p>

• 2 months later...