Canon AT-1 Shutter Magnet Sticking

josh_watkins

<p>I have a Canon AT-1 that I aquired from a flea market.<br>

The shutter wouldn't fire and the advance lever was stuck, so I took the bottom off and the release was sticking to the magnet. I unstuck it, but it just sticks everytime I advance the lever. Any suggestions out there to help? I tried cleaning a little with lighter fluid with no luck.<br>

Any help is welcomed.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I could just buy one on eBay that has already been CLA'd for cheaper then I could get it done around here. I only paid $5 for it in the first place. I would like to get it working myself if someone could give me an idea of what I could do. Or it could just go in the junk pile of other FD bodies that I have, but it would be more fun to use.</p>

<p>There's a hell of a difference to having the service manual for a piece of equipment and having the knowledge, skill, experience, correct tools and test equipment to do the job correctly, otherwise it's rather like having a book on abdominal surgery and attempting to to perform an appendectomy on someone with D.I.Y tools.<br>

I'm an apprentice trained precision engineer who worked in the aerospace industry for twelve years and although I have the service manuals for all my FD cameras, I wouldn't attempt to service them myself, I only use them for if the camera service engineer who services my gear should need them for reference.<br /> . .</p>

<p>If lighter fuel didn't work it sounds like it's not that the armature is getting glued to the electromagnet.</p>

<p>It sounds like the demagnetising current pulse is not getting to the electromagnet coil. This could be a broken wire or a dried out electrolytic capacitor.</p>

<p>I'm not an apprentice trained precision engineer, just a humble Chartered Engineer, but I have no qualms about repairing old cameras, Providing you are mechanically dextrous, with the right tools, and don't apply any force it really isn't that difficult.</p>

<p>After all, if you break an AT-1 you can pick up another one for next to nothing.</p>

<p>Henry</p>