Tamron Adaptall II

sknowles

<p>I have an extensive Minolta manual focus equipment collection (bear with me) which I'm selling while keeping some of it for personal use. My newer camera is an EOS system with a 5D and 1n. One of the lenses from the Minolta system is a Tamron 300 f2.8 with both Teleconverters which I like to use with the Canon bodies, and while I've read about the adaptors for Adaptall II to EOS mounts, I'm curious about personal experience, especially with the digital bodies, especially when the body doesn't "see" the lens to know what setting it's using.</p>

<p>They work fine. You get autoexposure in aperture priority mode and you can also use manual exposure mode.</p>

<p>Of course you have to manually set focus and aperture on the lens.</p>

<p>The body doesn't need to know what the lens is set to. It just measures the light falling onto the metering sensors. Due to some optical effects (angle of light cone, position of exit pupil etc.) with some lenses you may need to apply some exposure compensation, but a little testing will quickly tell you if you need to do it with your lens.</p>

<p>There's a little more info here - <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html">http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html</a></p>

<p>I've used several Adaptall-2 lenses on Canon EOS. They work well. The 300/2.8 is a very good lens and still has fairly brisk sales on eBay; it was going for around $400-$700 last time I looked, depending the exact model and on condition.</p>

<p>The original Tamron mount for EOS is extremely rare and expensive. However non-Tamron mounts are easy to find and cheap. The one I have is just a machined ring of metal; it works fine.</p>