Billy Agfa 7.7

<p>A friend gave me an old camera that turned out to be a Agfa Billy Igetar 7.7 (produced in Germany between 1933 and 1942 according to Camerapedia). It's a medium format 6x9 folding camera. Apertures are 7.7, 11 and 16. Shutter speeds are 1/100, 1/50, 1/25 s and bulb. There are two focus distances (2-5 m, and 5 m-infinity)</p>

<p>I bought some film and took some pictures to see if it was actually working, and lo and behold: it produces pictures. The pictures show that the camera needs some work, though. Having no experience with mechanical cameras (or film at all), I was wondering what all I need to do. It seems that the short focus distance needs some work (I'll attach some pics) and the lens needs cleaning. Any advice how to the the former and what to do on the latter in order to not make the issue worse?</p><div>00a68L-447587684.jpg.7cba25cc14fc04282e21d8076e4d5925.jpg</div>

<p>Rob, I also have an Agfa Billy Record of the same make as your own. I have posted photos from it a few times on my blog, <a href="http://blog.jeremyrichterphotography.com/search/label/agfa%20billy%20record">here</a>. Mine also had a rather dirty lens. Fortunately, since there's only one element, this is a pretty simple task. Looking at the inside of the front metal piece that rotates when adjusting the focus, you will find a very small screw; this is a locking screw, and I used a razor to withdraw mine so as to allow you to unscrew the front focusing piece. I am not sure of the best way to do this, but I took a pair of pliers, placed cloth over the teeth, and then applied the requisite pressure to unscrew the piece. The next two parts of this are very important. There is a metal coil/spring type piece behind the front piece, that keeps tension on the lens element; note it's general position. Next, pay attention to which side of the lens faces out, because you are now ready to remove it. Re-assembly is then pretty simple. Best of luck.</p>

<p>Several older posts on PN re my Billy Record: <a href="00RrOp">December 2008</a>, <a href="00Tu4Q">July 2009</a>, and most recently <a href="00YWZC">April 2011</a>. The first one involves questions about repair. Hope this is helpful.</p>