A few of Paris: Out of Chaika III

<p>Not bad for a half frame but beware, the format is addictive and has been a favorite of mine since I bought my first Oly Pen in 1972. I haven't since then been without one. The lens on your little gen looks like it can stand a good size print. What film were you using?</p>

<p>If you will make your images a maximum of 700 pixels instead of 900 pixels and put a title on them, we will be able to see them without having to click on the link. It's far more likely to find an audience that way.</p>

<p>I believe that the lens is Industar 69. I have been looking for one to adapt and use it on full frame as a 35mm wide angle. They have become expensive now, since the digital crowd has discovered this lens! I like the pictures and the cubism of the Louvre. Thanks for the post. Here is a 700 sample. sp</p>

<p>Cool Vibe! Reminds me of LIFE magazine photos from the early to mid 1960s. I've always liked the 35mm half frame format. Vertical shots feel like a doorway and seem to fit the paper and frame sizes better. Now with the resolution of modern films we can see how good those lenses really were.</p>

<p>There is certainly something nice about these images - perhaps because with the smaller frame size, the grain appears more prominent. It's quite attractive. And there's certainly a lot of detail evident, even at small resolutions. I put one of these images through Noise Ninja but it wasn't worth it. It looked better as-is. Besides, you need big files for NR to work properly, and even then it can make the image look dreadful.</p>

<p>Here's another Russian half-frame camera, the rather nice looking Agat:</p>

<p>http://www.spaceborn.dk/archive.asp?id=262</p>

<p>Nice shots with the Chaika. Some great subjects too. The results with the I-69 definitely looks better than other results I have seen with this lens (might be because people try to use it on their regular LTM lenses without the proper infinity focus adjustment).<br>

I use a hacked one on my R-D1, but the digital sensor makes the characteristics quite different to using it in its original guise. <br>

I must admit the lure of the half frame cameras is strong with me now. ;)</p>

<p> </p>

Impressed with the lens preformance .. I relaly liked the first one! I wonder though how long it would take me to do 72 photos. Quite a difference from say 8 x 6x9! I must admit my ignorance I wasn't aware of these half-frame Soviet cameras; but why not. The Soviets certainly believe in bang for your buck!