Pentax 135mm 3.5 Lens

mike_pallas

<p>I second that... grab it if you are interested in that focal length. i bought one on eBay for $80 a couple of years ago, have been happy with it.. I don't use it as often as I would like, but it's very nice lens. I won't be selling it for a while. Manual focus on it is great, long throw, lets you focus more precisely. I miss the manual focus lenses, tempted to buy more of them. I onced photographed a soccer match using this lens (yes, a bit crazy I know)... I was blurry-eyed afterwards, so something in keep in mind (no AutoFocus, of course on these M lenses).</p>

<p>Hello James. As the fellow who started that other referenced thread, allow me to provide an update. I used it a few days ago during an early evening, overcast-sky walk around the neighborhood shoot. This is such a nice lens in both its simple functionality and its understated appearance. Very small, but built like a brick. I'll admit it will take me a bit of time to get used to fully manual operation after shooting automatic lenses for several years, but in the short time I was playing with it, it was providing wonderful images. I shot a few test shots looking down a street/sidewalk using a pretty wide open aperture and focusing about 8-10 paces out in front of me. The close foreground was pleasingly, but mildly out of focus, then a very crisp area of focus in the mid-ground, and then a gradual de-focusing into the distant background. Colors were represented very well. None of these shots were keepers so I've got nothing to post, but I was very happy with the results. I'd say if your discovery of the lens is like what I experienced (a copy in good overall condition and a great price), buy it and give it a shot. Focus confirmation in the viewfinder will help you out. Over the winter I'd also upgraded my K-5 with a Katzeye split focusing screen and it is proving very useful with this lens.</p>

<p>Also, for me, since I so much of the time use lenses in the wide-to-normal range, mounting this little gem on the camera and having only a telephoto experience with it caused me to say, "Wow!" the first time I brought it to my eye. This could be one of my street photography "people" lenses (since I'm so uneasy photographing strangers on the street). It's very compact size does not lend to the idea of sneaking in on people from a distance like tele-zooms can do. It's physical size is only a little longer than the longest of my small DA Limited lenses, its size is deceiving. Lastly, for me, it's about the longest focal length I can confidently shoot with hand-held, anything longer and I want a tripod or similar to stabilize the camera. Now I've got to find some street fairs/festivals to wander around at.</p>

<p>Get it an have fun!</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>I do use my 135/f3.5 on occasions - Very lightweight lens I use to photograph flowers and other close ups at expos etc. where you cannot get too close to your subject. On full frame cameras it is a very good portrait lens.<br>

Works great in together with short close up extension tube.<br>

Price-wise - I do not think you should pay more than $30 including s&h</p>