Anyone using polaroid PL-126PZ or Metz 36?

raybrizzi

<p>If I were going to buy a cheaper flash, then I'd skip the 2 you listed. The Polaroid is featureless and no display panel. No adjustable settings. No manual mode (critical for me). The Metz would be better but might be too manual in that you have to adjust the head if you're using a zoom lens.</p>

<p>I'd go with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-Upgraded-Flash-Speedlite-YN-560-II-for-Pentax-K200D-K100D-K20D-K10D-/180822352933?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item2a19da2425</p>

<p>Similar price range and far better featured. </p>

<p>I am very happy with the older version of this Sigma:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741732-REG/Sigma_189109_EF610_DG_Super_Flash.html<br>

there is also this one:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741743-REG/Sigma_199109_EF610_DG_ST_Flash.html<br>

You have to check out the differences and what fits your needs...<br>

Can't remember if I bought it from B&H, they are a good source, I don't promote them, it's just easy to find stuff there...</p>

<p>I can recommend the old SCA300 system hammerhead flashes from Metz, Osram or Braun. Plenty off power in A and M mode, voltage safe on Pentax bodies and nice lighting from above to the left. Even the standard adapter works while a Pentax 370/372 enables some communication between the body and flash like aperture/shutter speed settings.</p>

<p>I received the flash today, despite the May 30 delivery date that Amazon sent in a letter. It is ONLY a manual flash.<br>

There are two models, the YN560 and the YN560-II. The II has an lcd screen, the other one has lights. Personally, I prefer lights.This is the YN560.<br>

No TTL or other Pentax features work with it. The only contacts are the side edges and the center. It comes with a PC cord (the old fashioned kind!) so you can run it from the camera that way or from the shoe. The K5 has a PC outlet, not sure about other Pentax cameras.<br>

You can set the zoom feature for 24, 28, 35, 50, 70, 80, and 105. The light in the flash moves forward and back to make the adjustment.<br>

There are 57 light levels, 8 main ones (up/down for coarse level, and then 7 levels left-right within each of those.)<br>

You can set 2 different presets for the slave mode. (Manual, S1, and S2)<br>

There does not seem to be any communication between the flash and the camera. It works when you shoot. <br>

The Pilot light is green when you cannot shoot, and red when you can, against American traffic light logic. The pilot light pushes in and is supposed to be a test for the flash, but it doesn't seem to work. May be a feature instead of a bug (?)<br>

There is a built in diffuser that pulls out and swings down over the flash. Also an almost opaque white card which pulls out and prevents too much light from going above the flash.<br>

Head is fully flexible, turns about 250 degrees right and left, and from straight vertical to straight ahead<br>

This thing is BRIGHT, 58 GN @ ISO 100 and 105mm.<br>

It comes with a small stand. I would NOT put it at the edge of a table facing forward because the unit is pretty heavy. The slave feature (or whatever the PC name for that feature is for the California folks) seems to work well. Using the built-in flash in the camera, the auxiliary flash goes off in sync with the flash handheld.There is a large sensor for picking up the main flash. It does NOT work with the W-flash feature of the camera, requires an actual flash to go off.<br>

There is no mention of a warranty in the enclosed doc, which is a spec sheet and a fairly readable Engrish instruction manual.<br>

They mention a better model which works with "N and C", where I suspect the N means Notpentax.<br>

Will play with it for a few days and decide what to do. For the $27 plus points it cost me, I'll probably keep it unless I can't get the test feature to work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Unfortunately, will be sending this one back. If I take a picture of the flash in slave mode, the flash does not show up in the picture, so will not have an effect on the subject while taking pictures. oh well, close but no cigar</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>For the price it's worth a shot. after amex points, it will cost me $60. Don't understand why the pentax flashes are so expensive. They sell whole dslr's with flash for less than the 540. all it is is a flash tube, a big capacitor can, and a metering sensor and software.</p>

<p>Got it tonight. Took a bit of time for it to sync up with the camera, but it works well now. Planning on using it tomorrow at the Coney Island Mermaid Parade setup area and the same thing for the NYC Pride Parade for fill.</p>