Galapagos and Ecuadorian Rain Forest -- with new twists and special considerations

larry h.

<p>Hi Larry,<br>

I am glad my information to you was helpful. My wife and I live in Cumbayá, close to Quito. You can contact me under <a href="mailto:stephan.matthies@berlin.de">stephan.matthies@berlin.de</a>. If the weather is nice you should be able to see the plumes of the Tungurahua from Ambato. Unfortunately, we've had lusy weather in the last months: solid grey skies and rain, rain, rain. They say ist's "La Niña". From Simiatug the view could be blocked by Chimborazo and Carihuairazo which are both in a direct line with the Tungurahua.<br>

Good luck with your final decisions and your purchases.<br>

Cheers, Stephan</p>

<p>I did essentially the same trip last summer. I took the 15-85 and 70-200 F4. I used the 15-85 the majority of the time. The couple extra mm the 15-85 has over the 17-55 and 18-55 does make a big difference. A lens longer than the 70-200 would have been useful occasionally in the rainforest to get birds and monkeys, but we were often close enough that I could just crop the photo a little bit and it still looked good. The two lenses together is a pretty compact package and is not too heavy. I used a Think Tank Speed Demon bag to carry the camera (an XSi) and the 15-85. When I wanted to brink the 70-200 also I had a container just for the lens that could attach to the bag's strap.</p>