extra camera to turkey

mike_king10

<p>Hope to visit Turkey in a few months and will be flying there from London. I have a Nikon D800 which I will take with me but as I'm going to be there a whole month it seems a good idea to take a spare camera, which is my Nilon D7000. Unfortunately I discovered that on the Turkish governments Customs and Excise page it states one camera only. Are they serious :-( Does anyone have any experience of flying to Turkey with loads of camera kit? Thanks.</p>

<p>I was in Turkey last autumn, flew there from London. I always have two DSLR cameras with me, plus three or four lenses. I don't carry a tripod. No questions were asked. Make a point of looking like a tourist and don't put "professional photographer" or something similar on any forms you fill in.</p>

<p>One thing to note, the weight of your carry-on luggage may be severely restricted when you leave Turkey. Dalaman airport enforces an 8kg rule (our inbound allowance was 12kg). So the gear you take may be limited by weight.</p>

<p>I only took one when I was there for a couple of weeks several years ago following up on a visit from several decades ago. I don't see a problem, just take care of your gear. Yeah I know everybody wants a back up, but unless you buy another one there, you are limited to bringing only one into the country. In over 55 years of international travel, I've only taken 2 bodies in a handful of cases....I guess I'm just a minimalist.</p>

<p>Stephen, two months ago I went on a 6 weeks trip to Peru with a 6 month old Nikon D7000. Two months into the trip the shutter jammed. I was fortunate to have a D90 with me. <br>

I was able to take my camera to high crime areas knowing that I had a spare. On top of that I had a differnet lens on each camera so managed the first two months without having to change a lens and risk sensor contamination.<br /> You can't by a D90 or D7000 outside of Lima, from Puno, 6 days there and back on a bus!</p>

<p>Mike I hear you...Peru was one place I did take 2 bodies....never used one, also had 1 too many lenses for the trip which never got used. I guess I've been lucky and never had a camera malfunction on a trip, although I have had 3 bodies hit the ground over the last 10 years...all are still working fine (with short visits to repair shops to check things out).</p>

<p>Normally ancient customs rules such as "one camera" are not enforced but there are on the books and can be used against you if necessary. Technically your cellular phone camera counts as a camera so you are in violation of the rules off the bat if you bring another camera (or a second camera-equipped mobile phone...)<br>

I bet that the Turks (together with many, many other countries) allow just one phonograph and 10 records to be brought by visitors to the country :-)</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
<p>Have been always traveling with more than one camera, one mounted a standard zoom and another either a telephoto or a super wide zoom. I am going to Turkey in a couple of months time and started to worry about weight issue. The thing is, if I carry mirrorless, I have a lot less weight to carry but their AF speed and accuracy is always an issue.</p>