Safety when Traveling in Brazil

kj_thomas

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I posted this question to the travel forum, but I also wanted to post here since this forum sees a lot more traffic with traveling photographic enthusiasts. I am going to Salvador, Bahia (in Brazil) and I would like to take my D300s along with a 50mm f/1.4 and a 16-85mm VR to get photos of my time there. How safe is it? I don't plan to take pictures in shady areas, just mostly in the tourist places like Barra, Pelourinho, and others. My gear is insured, but to have it taken would suck because I wouldn't have to take photos. I'm also thinking about buying a used D3000 as a backup in case something happens.</p>

<p>Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi KJ Thomas, photo.net guidelines specify that we should not cross post the same topic to multiple forums. I am going to point this thread back to the one on the Travel Forum: <a href="../travel-photography-forum/00aDca">http://www.photo.net/travel-photography-forum/00aDca</a></p>

<p>I have been to Brazil once in 2007 on a wildlife trip, but we went to different areas. A lot of us had long lenses, but we were in a group and there was a local guide. He picked local motels that were farther away from the main highway because he thought those were safer (harder for robbers to get away). Local knowledge is critical for those things.</p>