50mm 1.4G Availability?

greglynch

<p>I am sure it has little to do with the earthquake in Japan over a year ago. I bought mine in October, 2011 and it was widely available back then. Both the 50mm/f1.4 and f1.8 AF-S are made in China. Maybe Nikon moved production around to compensate for the flood in Thailand in October, November last year and that indirectly affected production in China.</p>

<p>I'd assume that the flood of D4's, D800's, and consequently, cheap used D700's all have a role to play in it. There seems to be a rather large full-frame surge right now, and everyone wants a normal lens. Try calling around to a few local photo stores.</p>

<p>I was going to suggest the f1.8 version as an alternative, and then I realized that even the 50mm/f1.8 G AF-S is hard to find. I bought that f1.8 while I was reviewing it last year with a loaner from Nikon. Of course that lens had just been introduced and clearly it was not hard to find back then.</p>

<p>It looks like a lot of Chinese-made Nikon lenses are in short supply all of a sudden, including both 50mm AF-S lenses, the 105mm/f2.8 AF-S VR macro, etc. Those were widely available maybe 6 months ago, i.e. months after the Japan earthquake. (Other higher-end Nikon lenses made in Japan have been hard to find for even longer.)</p>

<p>I was looking for one earlier this year. In March I managed to find one at a Ritz Camera store in Rockville, MD (even though it was out of stock on the Ritz website...and every other site for that matter). A couple of days later, I had to get some white seamless from a store in downtown DC (called Pro Photo or something like that) and they had two sitting on the shelf.</p>

<p>My suggestion is if you really want it (and want a new lens), just go down the list of authorized Nikon dealers and I'm sure some store will have it in stock...shipping is another story. If you can live with used, then you can probably find one on eBay, but likely at a higher price than retail if it's still hard to find. Personally, I would wait over buying on eBay unless the price is under list.</p>

<p>i bought a 16-35 F4 on Amazon recently...soft copy so I sent it back and could not find it in stock anywhere until yesterday, and at a lower price...was shipped last night...Still waiting for the D800 I ordered from B and H on March 9, and not expecting to see it anytime soon.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>every canadian retailer has it in stock for $579.00 CDN</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That price could be why they have it in stock. If you are willing to pay that much, you can find it in the US as well. I bought mine 6 months ago for US$439. B&H currently has it listed for $459 but since it is not in stock, that price is kind of meaningless: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585343-USA/Nikon_2180_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_4G.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585343-USA/Nikon_2180_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_4G.html</a></p>

<p>Photocraft in Burke, VA (just outside of DC) has it in stock for $454. This is a credible camera shop (I bought my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR 1 there a long time ago). And no tax if you don't live in VA.</p>

<p>http://www.ephotocraft.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=018208021802</p>

<p>Like I said, if you search just a little you can find one. I didn't even leave my immediate area and just looked for the small local family-owned shops.</p>

<p>I too have been monitoring amazon, bhphoto, adorama and other reputable retailers for the 50mm f1.4G for months and months. I also don't understand why there is such tough time finding these lenses in the US. I've waited so long that I've even contemplated getting the 50 f1.4D. However, what's put me off is that recently in the last two weeks some retailers have bumped the price of the 1.4D version a $20-$30 US more. So then I also considered the 50mm f1.8G, but even then there seems to be some low stocks available.<br>

Luckily and yet at the very same time very unluckily, my D800 has yet to be shipped from amazon, else I'd be really tempted to order from other regions. hmmm. Good luck to you folks in finding one in the US. Please share if you come across stock online.</p>

<p>I also have an older (made in Japan) copy of the 50 1.4D...it is a great lens and I don't see a reason to get the G version...of course, I don't have the d800, so that is purely a speculative comment...who knows when that will show up? I ordered on 3/9 from B H...</p>