NikonScan and "Invalid Page Fault"

I recently bought a Coolscan 4000. For a while it worked fine,

albiet, the Nikon software was awkward. Then I started to

get "invalid page faults" and the thing wouldn't scan at all. I took

it in for service. The tech spent two hours removing the Nikon

software, Picture Window Pro 3.1 and Photoshop Elements and with help

from Nikon support, reloading all three programs again. This seemed

to solve the problem. Nope, one day later, I have the same problem.

Any suggestions? I know there are people out there that have the

4000ED humming along. BTW, I am using Win98SE, on a generic Pentium

IV 1.6ghz with 650 mb ram. Do I have to buy Silverfast to make this

thing run like it is supposed to?

You might try Vuescan. A free demo version can be downloaded from www.hamrick.com, and it does everything the paid ($40) version does - the difference is that it adds a "DEMO" to every scan. Anyway, I gave up on the Nikon software very early and use only Vuescan now with my Nikon LS-4000. Many people think it's better than Silverfast, and it's much cheaper too.

Windows98SE is not optimized for this kind of application. As a matter of fact, you need to load special drivers for the IEEE 1394 connection. These are not included in the Win98SE operating system.

I also recommend Windows 2000 - it is much more stable for this kind of application.

Yup, Windows 2000 is your best bet. I'd say the same thing to someone running in to problems on an older Mac OS, go to OS X. I wasn't impressed with Mac or Windows until those came around. There really is a huge difference. You've got the computer specs to handle it, but Win 2k should help immensely.

Walt; I cannot offer specific fixes for your problem, but will offer that I have been running the Nikon software on my system PIII-800, 768mb ram, WindowsME, in conjunction with PS 5.0 LE without problem for about a year and a half without signifigant problem; so it does NOT, from my experience, appear to be an OS restriction.<br>

Have had it occaisionally lock-up if using max (16x?) resample (which I rarely do) in conjunction with ICE fine and GEM. In such cases I've had to shut the computer down via power switch and reboot. Then delete all Windows/Temp files and carry on.<br>

Suggest (?) to be sure no other progs are running in the background when scanning, although I routinely use the TWAIN acquire within Photoshop.<br>

Cheers and good luck.

A possibility, to be checked out as sort of a last resort, is that you have two (or more) copies of a critical ".dll" file on your disk drive. If so, then THE ORDER in which you first start using programs after a boot will determine which of those copies gets loaded into memory. If one of the copies is an older version of the ".dll" file, and it gets loaded into memory first, it can then cause programs based on the newer versions to fail. This is because Windows memory management will only load one version of a particular .dll file.

Click on Start, slide up to Find, and then click on Files and Folders. From there search for files named "*.dll". If you discover the same .dll file name in different directories, look to see if the dates are different. If they are different, take the computer back to the technician and get him to put a single copy of the latest .dll in the Windows directory, and then rename the other duplicate .dll files to something like .ddd. This will keep the Windows environment from changing as a function of the order in which programs are launched.

I had to chuck Win 98 SE (I moved to win ME for a variety of reasons though I know win2000 would have been more stable.) to get my n4000 to work well. I'm now using Win ME, NikonScan 3.1 and PhotoShop 5.x on a PII 400 with 512mb. No crashes anymore. (I usually scan 14bit with all of the ROC/GEM/ICE turned off.)

Thank you for some great ideas. I will try Vuescan, and if that doesn't work I may go with Win2000 but I really hate to support the Microsoft "new operating system every year" habit.

My computer tech at White Mt Computer in Nashua has washed his hands and I am on my own.

No other industry that I can think of asks it's customers to spend big bucks for products that don't work, or that require additional time and money to get working. Nikon, a brand I trusted, is one I won't trust again.