What does the introduction of the 5DIII and 1DX tell about Canon's future plans

DickArnold

Indicates to me that canon has two awesome full frame camera, as does Nikon with their new models.

I would love a 5DIII, Whether or not it is overpriced, doesn't matter to me as I cannot afford one.

In my opinion I think there is a wide gap in the full frame lineup...could use a lower priced 5DIII and a higher

megapixel model as well.Maybe those are in the works, but then a lower priced 5DIII is a 5DII.

<p>Video in 5D3 i am sure drove many design decisions. For me the proof is the following design choices<br>

1. 22mp - to reduce moire and color artifacts int he downsample to 1080P video.<br>

2. The silent modes<br>

3. The capacitive wheel at the back to use in video to avoid clicking noises<br>

4. The addition of the video buttons.<br>

5. ALL I and IPB formats. Now you might argue that this is all software. I disagree. I am pretty sure that to achieve the compressions without sacrificing performance and frame rates, the DIGIC 5+ most probably has hardware designed to make that process faster for these formats. Compressions are better done with specialized hardware. I actually think that is the "+" part of the DIGIC 5+. No proof needed for me about this, but your mileage might vary.</p>

I am pretty sure the introduction of 5D3 and 1DX tells us that Canon is likely to release a high-megapixel (30-40Mpx range) FF DSLR this year, likely at Photokina. I cannot believe Canon would willingly abandon a market segment they used to own to Nikon without putting up a fight.<br><br>

I also think Canon was caught flat-footed by the D800 and, in particular, its price. In an imaginary world where D800 does not exists, 5D3 is reasonably priced. In the real world where D800 does exist, 5D3 is overpriced.