M4/3rds Lens Mount Question

bob_cook

<p>I'm kind of new to the M4/3rds arena, and have a question: will any M4/3rds lens mount on any M4/3rds body? For example, can I mount a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 on an Olympus EM-5 body? Without an adapter? Or are adapters required?<br>

Thanks for any information.</p>

<p>The physical mounts are the same, yes, Bob. The functions may I say <em>may</em> slightly vary in certain instances. <br /> Adapter is needed when using a 4/3 lens to the smaller micro 4/3 mount to space the lens properly.<br /> Also, fyi, this somewhat eye boggling chart (re GH2) attempts to show what fits what and there may be other similar ones online:<br>

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gh2.html</p>

<p>In general any m43 lens will work on any m43 body, except:</p>

<ul>

<li>I don't think Olympus supports the Panasonic 3D lens (12.5mm). Also the older Panasonic bodies don't support it.</li>

<li>If the Panasonic lens has OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), and it has a switch on the lens to enable or disable it (such as the 14-45mm or 45-200mm lenses), you have to choose whether to enable Panasonic's or Olympus's IS.</li>

<li>If the Panasonic lens has OIS but it does not have a switch on the lens to enable or disable it (newer lenses like the 14-42mm), the Olympus firmware will turn off OIS in then lens.</li>

<li>Only the Olympus E-M5 has support to program the extra button on the Olympus 12-50mm lens.</li>

<li>The Panasonic lenses that have OIS have an orientation sensor in the lens to automatically rotate the images when used on a Panasonic body. The Olympus bodies without an orientation sensor (E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1, and E-PL3) cannot use the orientation sensor in the lens.</li>

<li>Some of the lens correction information that Panasonic cameras' firmware uses to fix things like chroma is not used on Olympus bodies. I don't remember the details on this one.</li>

</ul>

<p>Like many Olympus users, I own a Panasonic 20mm lens, and it works fine on my E-P2.</p>

<p>Wow <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=251643">Gerry Siegel</a>, thank you so much for that link to the list. I am pleased to see that many sigma 4/3 mount lenses will work on the GH2. I wish sigma lenses would AF on the G1 or GH1. Currently i am using a G1 and thinking of upgrading to the GH1.</p>

• 7 months later...
<p>Hey Gerry, I need to thank you again for providing that link. I recently purchased the GH2 on the black Friday gold box deal on amazon, so now I am thinking of searching for a few used 4/3 mount lenses that Sigma made and getting an adapter. But I bet they will not be easy to find.</p>