Wide and Wondrous

<p>Even second-hand, this lens remains a fairly expensive item. It's by far the most complex lens in the Mamiya TLR range, being constructed from 9 elements in 7 groups, quite extraordinary when one considers it's a relatively "pancake" lens in overall dimensions. According to several commentators it's an unusual and original design that came out of Left Field in about 1967, bearing no real resemblance to any previous lens. Best described as an "unusual construction of retrofocus design", here's a sketch of it's components.</p>

<p> </p><div>00aIS6-459687584.jpg.6dcf1b216f47f88b0a6373976d68d0ca.jpg</div>

<p>This copy was offered to me at a very reasonable price, because the dealer feared it was flawed. The material surrounding the front elements show signs of a deterioration, and he thought it was either a fungal condition or condensation. Under a loupe, it looks to me like a slight "perishing " of the surface of the material , (whatever it is), into a pimpled texture, but I could see no way that it would affect the performance of the lens, so I bought it at a very reasonable price. I'd be interested to hear from any other forum members who have this lens, possibly with similar symptoms. Along with it I bought a 135mm unit, a standard 4-element design with satisfactory performance.</p>

<p>The preceding pics are from my usual walkabout with the lenses, with the 55mm turning in a performance that was startlingly good, possibly better than the 55mm SMC Pentax lens for the Pentax 67 that I was banging on about, a fortnight ago. The photographs are all from the one Fuji Acros film developed in stock ID-11 and scanned on an Epson V700 scanner. My apologies for the repetitive nature of the locations, but please consider these images a demonstration of the lens's qualities rather than a creative exercise on my part.</p>

<p>Nice review, Rick. I just looked at mine and I don't see any artifacts in the lens interior. From my recollection(always suspect), and the look of your lens, the artifact was called Schneideritis, as found in a number of Schneider lenses although not exclusive to them. My understanding is it has no effect on performance, as your fine images show.</p><div>00aITN-459719584.jpg.be09313a3892ca5a5354f35eabd0a20b.jpg</div>

<p>The quality of the lenses are aptly demonstrated by your photographs. It might be slightly more expensive that your other finds but I am sure that the quality speaks volumes. Thanks very much for sharing the pictures.</p>

<p>I've had one of these lenses that I bought new about twenty five years ago and it is indeed a very good optic, but I had to try two or three before I found a good one because the optical quality was very variable even when they were new and after all these years you need to buy them with care,they are quite prone to flare so the Mamiya square hood that was designed for this lens to use with it is very desirable if you buy one .</p>

<p>I've had one of these lenses that I bought new about twenty five years ago and it is indeed a very good optic, but I had to try two or three before I found a good one because the optical quality was very variable even when they were new, and after all these years you need to buy them with care and they are quite prone to flare so the Mamiya square hood that was designed for this lens to use with it is very desirable if you buy one .</p>

<p>Just looking at the lens design, one can see the surfaces that have to be painted black, particularly on the inside of the next-to-front element. If that paint starts to blister off the glass, you get what is known as "Schneideritis". It can cause a very slight increase in flare, since the white spots reflect more light than the properly painted glass.<br>

Sometimes you get a complete peel of this paint, as in my Leica Summar. I repainted those edges with Kodak Brushing Lacquer No. 4, and they are fine. (The inner elements of the Summar have large bevels that are painted black.)</p>

<p>Excellent images Rick. I especially liked "Chevy" and "American Dream," altough I'm not sure if it's the quality of the pictures or the quality of the subject matter. :-)</p>

<p>I'd love to get a decent TLR. I put in a bid for a nice condition Yashica Mat on eBay, but got beat out in the end while I was at work.</p>

<p>Lucky you live in a photogenic place Rick, we never tire of the location shots so don't fret! I still have my C330 with the 105mm DS lens but sold the other lenses long ago . I had the 55 and the 180 super, and along with the 105 they proved to be outstanding lenses, especially the 180 (you will have to get that next!)<br>

The 330 ans 220 were serious workhorses, not pretty like a Rollei, but great shooters none the less. While the Mamiya is King Kong, the Rollei would be Fay Ray.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses! "Schneideritis", huh? Many thanks, <strong>Louis</strong> and <strong>John</strong>, one learns something new every day on this Forum. The condition, though a little unsightly, doesn't seem to affect the performance, but I'll keep it under observation. That's a fine post on the C2, <strong>Craig</strong>; as <strong>Tony</strong> has hinted, the 180mm is an exceptional lens. I do have one, and I could spend hours with it on the camera, looking for pictures. Thanks for the reassurance regarding the locations, <strong>Tony</strong>, and I love your King Kong comparison. I must try it on the next Rollei-wielding photographer I meet...</p>

<p>No filters, <strong>Jon</strong>, though the late afternoon light by which most of these images were taken does give a sort of enhanced look. Just love this time of year, with the days shortening and the shadows lengthening. And I'm sure you could do just as well. Thanks for the compliments, <strong>Peter</strong>; I was only trying to demonstrate what the lens <em>can</em> do...Hang out for the Mamiyas, <strong>Cory</strong>, if you're hankering after a TLR. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it. So far I haven't noticed a flare problem, <strong>Ben</strong>, but I am keeping an eye open for the appropriate lens hood. There was a giant ping of reflected sunlight off the cars mirror in the "American Dream" pic that worried me a little, but the lens handled it with aplomb. Thank you <strong>Mike</strong>, <strong>Starvy</strong> and <strong>Steve</strong> for your contributions.</p>