Camera angle when photographing a still life

<p>There is nothing that separates the objects from the back. There needs to be some type of separation.<br>

If you look at any of the "Dutch Masters", you will see that white table cloths will have shadows, but that at least some of it will be properly "exposed". The masters ONLY had natural light, so I think that flash photography (at least in your still life images) needs to be as close to natural light as possible. This is a very difficult task to achieve and you need a lot of lighting equipment to achieve this. Still lives can be low-key or high-key.</p>

<p>Remember that the naked eye (and those Dutch painters) can descern about 9 stops of light, the camera can only see 6. This is another limitation you have to overcome. Good post processing is essential. This is a quick 1 minute tweak.</p><div>00a7hX-449235584.jpg.c20053b237b2546eb952c9604de53c8d.jpg</div>

<p>I lift shadows and sharpen all the time, especially when I am going for a "Graphics Art" look. However, for an "old master's" look, I would like to see the shadows wrap around the onions and jug even more. Something along these lines.</p>

<p>Tom M</p><div>00a7iU-449253784.jpg.efcbbd070d4a2c3bccf42339111f2005.jpg</div>

<p>Ann, this is just not a compelling photo/subject. As a practice subject for lighting, fine. The crumpled table cloth, the weird blue candy dish to store onions in, the japanese suger pot, the squared composition, no amount of tweaking or fancy lighting is gonna save this image.<br>

Keep at it though.</p>

<p>Paul, your schooner of blue moon has hit the fourth place in a google photo "still life" search for site:photo.net. My chinese tea jar is the fith one. Louis's heads are also there. What do you know..<br>

<br /> My egg from this thread is not showing up. My still life with onions, lemon and three limes from my gallery is showing up on page 9.<br>

<br /> And Paul, if you search for "my schooner of Blue Moon", your photo is the first one to show up. How about that :-)<br /> Don't tell Tim L.</p>

<p>Hello Ann</p>

<p>I hope you're kidding about my schooner of blue moon! That would be the most amusing thing i've heard of in a long while.</p>

<p>I was being a tad ironic when I posted it. It rather seemed to me that still life shots were all in the <em>intent</em> of the photographer, so no need to be concerned with rules, etc. For the record, the beer shot was done with my trusty iPhone and Smugmug's .99 cent Camera Awesome app.</p>

<p>Thanks for your message!</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am not kidding. Don't you get it as the first image when you write<br /> <br /> my schooner of Blue Moon<br /> <br /> in the Google picture seach? If not, I can provide a link of what I am getting :-)<br /> I like the idea of a still life being a still life if that is the intent of the photographer.</p>

<p>Funny. Thanks...</p>

<p>Yeah, when I shoot landscapes or buildings or portraits I always feel like I am at the mercy of where I am, the time of day and the willingness of my subject in addition to my own poor skills.</p>

<p>But, with still life it's all there for the capturing. It's a beer on the table, or a bowl of fruit or a china set. It's there already. What does it look like or feel like to me?</p>

<p>I always wish I had more gifts as a photographer. But, more than this I always wish for more opportunities in more beautiful places with good light.</p>

<p>But I digress!<br>

<br>

Have a great weekend.</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p> </p>