4x5 Kodak Portra vs. Fuji Pro 160s

mark_s.4

<p>Having shot a lot of both 4x5 Fuji NPS and early Kodak Portra 400, I would say you would have a hard time seeing grain in either one up to 20 x 24". They are both excellent films, and the extra stop+ you get with Portra 400 can be extremely useful.</p>

<p>I haven't directly compared them, but it seems that Portra 160 is finer grained than Pro 160S. But neither one is what I consider grainy in 4x5. I don't print larger than 20x24 and grain isn't an issue from either. The color pallet is far more important to me, and there the two films are different.</p>

<p>I've used both in the same film holder -- made the same exposure with both, ran them through the same C-41 pro lab. The colors were a little different -- the Fuji tends a little yellow in the greens, and the Kodak tends a little cyan in the blues. Either is easily correctable. But grain? I couldn't tell them apart even after 11x enlargement on a drum scanner. </p>

<p>But if this is 5x4, why the heck do you care about grain? That should be the very least of your worries. Freedom from worrying about grain is one of the joys of LF work IMHO.</p>

<p>At least in the USA, where Fuji no longer markets any C-41 sheet films, the choice is pretty obvious for Kodak Portra 160. Fuji Professional 160S is still available in Japan, but you would need to order through Japan Exposures. The Kodak will be $60 for 20 sheets, the Fuji somewhere around $90 for 20 sheets.<br>

Kodak has pretty much out-innovated Fuji in C-41 films in the last 5 years. On the other hand, Kodak threw in the towel on E-6 in March 1, so Fuji now owns whatever is left of that market.<br>

I'm very impressed with the lack of "color noise" in skies in the current generation of Portra films (160 and 400). Of course, I'm judging it in 35mm.</p>

<p>thanks guys, print size will be 60x45 inch thats why i`m curious about grain. Here in europe fuji 160s (now 160nc) is still available and it is cheaper than portra. 10 sheets fuji costs 45€ & 10 sheets portra costs 56€.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Mark - I am in agreement Bruce with who believes grain is a non-issue in 4x5. I can't imagine one being more than the other to any significant, if any, veiwing distance.<br /><br />Most shoot either Portra or Fuji 160 for it's particular color qualities and resulting estectic, if any. I would think that is what you should be considering.<br>

But, regardless of advice and opinion, get a box of both and shoot it up and you will probably like one over the other. If not, then you will REALLY know for yourself, and ultimately, that is all that matters.</p>