Nikon LCD durability

brian_hooks

<p>As I look at the newest crop of Nikon DSLR's they seem to be coming out without LCD covers. "I have yet to see one in person just from the photos I've seen". Is this an indication that the screen protector is not needed or have they gone to a stronger more scratch/impact resistant screen? I find myself having to frequently remove my cover to clean dust that gets between it and the screen and was wondering if it were safe to simply remove it? I realize that this is indeed a layer of protection that would keep the screen from cracking from an impact but I am careful with my equipment and was mainly keeping it on for scratch protection.<br>

Brian</p>

<p>After scratching, cracking and losing my hard plastic ones, I switched to the flexible plastic ones which you just cut to size. They work fine for me, and occasionally I have to reset them to eliminate bubbling.</p>

<p>I always leave mine on, I never notice it really. Occasionally the dust in between is an annoyance but only a very small one. While I've only been shooting DSLRs for 3 years, I've always used the covers, and while I've never damaged a cover, I do such a lot of scratches on it, scratches I would rather not have permanently on my screen.</p>