Does Nikon Coolscan 8000 support DEE function?

<p>I’m on the market looking for a Medium format scanner. One of the option is to get used LS8000. I know that previous NikonScan 3 software did not have DEE (Dynamic Exposure Extension) function and it was added to NikonScan 4 version. I found that it’s a very useful feature. Currently I have 4.0.2 version installed with windows XP. Apparently I can run LS8000 with 4.0.2/4.0.3 versions but will it support DEE function? Thanks at advance for your suggestions.</p>

<p>I'm not sure, but I think that the answer may be no. I have an LS8000 and NikonScan 4.0.2. When I just tried, it seemed that the DEE feature was not active, in contrast to most of the other Digital Ice features.<br>

Also, I just looked in the manual for Nikon Scan 4. On page 61, the description of DEE says:</p>

<p >Enhances detail in underexposed or overexposed areas of the image (9000 ED, 5000 ED,and COOLSCAN V only).<br>

Sorry,<br>

David</p>

<p>Roman<br>

Everything that I read says that Nikon stopped supporting their scanners with Nikon scan software. This is particularly distressing because I use a Mac and cannot use the current latest greatest OS X Lion because the Nikon scan software is not supported. I recently received advice from http://www.saturn-films.co.uk/ - David Sack proprietor who is using Vuescan on his Coolscan 5000's. I switched over to the software this week. It is fast and relatively bug free. It supports my Coolscan 5000 scanner and the bulk feeder. There are many ways to tweak the software. There is an infrared channel to clean dust and scratches. In my opinion it is a way better program than Nikon's software. It's available for free trial download. There's a watermark which is gone when you buy the software. I used it on a bunch of slides and it was fast (1min/scan) and fairly accurate. For examples see:<br>

http://photocriticism.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/worth-the-price-of-admission-slide-scanning/</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the response.</p>

<p>Les, I was thinking the same way as you do. But also I assumed that DEE algorithm might work based on data provided from a scanner and I wasn’t sure if LS8000 firmware can generate this particular data. I guess I was right with my assumption. DEE ( ICE, Gem etc) works on raw scanning data then converts it to Tiff that what I guessed. </p>

<p>Victor, thanks for your samples. I keep my machines with XP and Vista just to run NikonScan. I heard a lot good words about Viewscan. I guess I got to try it. Well, but first I have to find my “new” scanner yet.</p>