What would you charge (Headshots)

edvigil

<p>I recently did an on location headshot event of about 14 people. I am just curious what others might charge for this type of shoot.<br>

After much research and evaluation I did come up with a pricing model that was submitted to the Company for a qoute and received. I have already invoiced the shoot but this is more of a curiosity question.</p>

<p>Too many unknowns.<br /><br />Environmental portraits, or portable-studio-type stuff?<br /><br />Full lighting rig, carefully tuned for each subject's hair, clothing, skin, etc?<br /><br />Are you provideing hair/makeup services?<br /><br />Was the project down the street, or 100 miles away?<br /><br />Did you incur any insurance, access, equipment rental, or other expenses?<br /><br />Are the images to be used in veyr large format, with great care given to post production ... or is the work going to just show up 200 pixels wide on the company web site?<br /><br />Are there any other projects related to this, likely to come from it, etc? Meaning, should this shoot be considered a possible piece of a larger undertaking?<br /><br />Do you need to provide special support for a third party graphics/web/print person who's handling the output, or was it just leave-them-with-a-CD-and-you're-done sort of thing?<br /><br />How long did it actually take you? Honestly, I can see something like this ranging from $300 to over $3,000 depending on how you answer the questions above.</p>

<p>Sorry for all the unknows. It was about a 15 mile drive 1 way. I was available for 8 hrs of shooting time. Edited during slow times.<br>

The setup was 1 strobe, backdrop, hairlight, reflector.<br>

The primary use is for company website and professional pages (linkedin). They do have to option to order prints.<br>

Shot with a Canon 60D and Tamrom 2.8 70-300 lens.</p>

<p>I would charge $250 for the session plus $150 for location fee. Then $10 per digital neg if there's no heavy retouching (I define that for the client) involved; $25 per image if retouching is required. So my total would have been $540, assuming no retouching and that I did not have to rent any of the equipment.</p>

<p>I charged a flat fee of $50 for the 1st 10 then $40 for each person after. All images included basic retouching. I made all images available on my website and available to download for their use.<br>

I did not rent any equipment for this shoot.</p>

<p>So, $660 for an all-day shoot and some after-the-fact post work, travel, and put-it-online time. Let's call the whole thing 12 hours, not counting the time it took to line up the gig, write and wrangle the contract, handle the billing, chasing down the billing, asking three more times for the payment, and then finally having to drive there for the check (OK, so maybe that last part doesn't apply in your case, but I'm sure at least a few people are nodding their heads right now!).<br /><br />660/12 = $55 per hour before taxes, gas money, web site hosting, equipment wear and tear, etc. Loosely following typical math along those lines (I don't know what your federal, state, and county/municpal income taxes rates are, etc), let's call it taking home about $20 or $25 an hour.<br /><br />Mind you, that might really suit if you're looking for the experience and wouldn't have had anything else to do that day that would have generated money. Again, a lot of unknowns there. Some photographers would not have done that gig, because a day spent marketing and trying to line up gigs that pay several times as much would be a better use of their time. It really depends on a lot of other circumstantial things, your own personal priorities and such.</p>

• 4 weeks later...