Two weeks on south island of NZ -- suggestions?

charles_wood

<p>My wife and I are spending barely two weeks in New Zealand starting March 1st. I'm aware that two weeks barely scratches the surface in terms of sightseeing and photography. For that reason we've decided to not spend any significant time on the north island and once arriving in Auckland, depart the same day for Christchurch by air, rent a vehicle, spend a day or so at Christchurch recovering from the long flight, and work our way south on the west coast. With a one way rental, we will drop the car in Queenstown and return to Auckland for the flight back to the US.<br /><br />Is this a reasonable approach? Is there any reason I should consider allotting time on the north island rather than on a later return trip to NZ and Australia? FWIW, my wife is not a trekker and because of our time limitation, I've ruled out any multiday treks.<br /><br />What would your short list of 5-7 locations be on the west coast to properly see and photograph over a 11-12 day period, weather notwithstanding?<br /><br />Thanks to any that can provide suggestions.</p>

<p>For starters, I think the South Island approach is a good one. I liked the North Island, but most of the "must see" stuff is on the south island, IMHO.<br>

The biggie as far as sights is Milford Sound. That's a can't miss. Other great destinations include Aoraki/Mt. Cook, the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers, Lake Wanaka and Lake Tekapo. My wife and I really enjoyed the Marlborough Sounds (Queen Charlotte Track) region. Wine tasting, good food, beautiful scenery. <br>

Even if your wife is not a trekker, make some time to get out and at least take a day hike or two, get onto one of the glaciers, etc. That's the only way to really appreciate some of those places. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>First, I totally agree with your approach.<br>

Second, the South Island is divided by mountains range and it affects your planning significantly as there're only two passes available in your area - Arthur's Pass and Haast Pass.</p>

<p>I'll list some points of interest, but you'll have to decide which ones you "have" to see:<br>

* Lake Tekapo<br>

* Lake Pukaki<br>

* Mt Cook (Aoraki)<br>

* Glacier (Fox/Fraz Josef)<br>

* Arthur's Pass and/or Haast Pass<br>

* Wanaka (Glendhu Bay is spectacular)<br>

* Glenorchy/Kinloch (the road there is beautiful, and Kinlock is an amazing location, also access to Routeburn nature walk - a couple of hours well spent)<br>

* Arrowtown (cute town)<br>

* Milford Sound (make sure to spend a night there - otherwise you'll miss both sunset and sunrise, the road from Te Anau is amazing and you should spend a few hours on the road)<br>

* Queenstown and Christchurch (these you won't miss)<br>

Note: I didn't mention locations to the north from Christchurch and the southeastern areas of the Island as the above list should keep you busy for two weeks. I suggest you map your points of interest in Google Earth and plan your route thoroughly as - while the driving is a major part of the fun in NZ - the last thing you want is spend all your time traveling between destinations and driving times can take a while.</p>

<p>I posted a couple hundred photos with locations marked - feel free to take a look:<br>

https://picasaweb.google.com/110752296968089205692/NewZealand?authkey=Gv1sRgCMTN14r067-4GA</p>

<p>Enjoy your trip,<br>

Jean</p>

<p> </p><div>00Zpq1-431235584.jpg.73a6e7a33508c9232fb971b894189ddf.jpg</div>

<p>Your approach makes sense. As a New Zealander I have always recommended people spend a significant time on each island (there is still plenty to see on the North Island on your next trip). I'm from the North Isaland so my southern geography isn't great, I do remember a lovely train trip from Christchurch up to Arthurs Pass with a return bus journey if you want a break from driving<br>

If you do get up to the top of the South Island then Abel Tasman national park is nice, worth doing a boat trip there. There is a set on my Flickr account here Abel Tasman Boat Trip with some photos and a link to the company we used which I would recommend as a small local operator</p>

<p>Yeah for most car rental co's, that should be no problem. Like said, the best IMO is the South Island. The places set out are good. Do plenty of google searches for photog locations and food. Haha. I heard In Kaikoura there is the "Famous Seaside Grill" for some food. For photog locatoins have a look at Andris Apse if you are into landscapes.</p>

<p>It's generally places like Milford Sound maybe a cruise or two there, Fox Glacier where you have Lake Matheson .. Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki, Kaikoura itself for whales, Marlborough for wine and food, Twizel might be a good stop for one of the locations b/c it's the centre for all the lake places and the blue color waters ...</p>

<p>Mt Cook is good too.</p>

<p>I been to Kinloch. Yeah it is nice, but it is a 1hr drive from Queenstown but in a middle of nowhere if you don't plan on hiking. There is a lake there and yeah they do have a restaurant but a lake is another lake and the place is quite remote. That's just my view. We had like 3 nights there, to us, I could do my landscapes but other than that, we were trying to find stuff to do ... and you couldn't really go back to Queenstown and back again .. The place is so compact that yeah maybe with a rental car, but with our own car (we are locals) we didn't want to wreck the car, haha, so we didn't drive further down that road, they had warning signs out about potential damage. But yeah .. quite compact, one lake, not much variety. If you were thinking about Galen Rowell etc .. Yosemite, nah .. we didn't get a truly dramatic sky, perhaps we if deliberately shot saturated film or photoshop the images. But maybe that is "realism". :-)</p>

<p>If only 2 weeks, maybe just stick to the South Island. Or maybe end up in Picton (north of the South Island) then ferry to Wellington, hand back the car then fly to Auckland and fly out?</p>

<p>You can't take hire cars across on the ferry. Have to drop off in Picton, pick up another at Wellington.<br>

Two weeks, stick to the South Island.<br>

Sort of Christchurch - Arthurs Pass - Greymouth - Fox Glacier - Haast Pass - Wanaka - Mt Cook - Lake Tekapo - back track to Queenstown, then Milford or Doubful Sounds and Glenorchy and drive as far as you can up into Paradise: use Queenstown as a base for a few days or so. - Dunedin and out on the peninsula to the albatross rookery and castle - Christchurch. Any time left over go up to Kaikoura.<br>

Roads are good and traffic light, distances short (well, by Australia standards). Finally and very important, Keep to the LEFT. Make your passenger responsible for checking you are on the correct side of the road, especially after intersections!<br>

Beautiful country and great place for a holiday.</p>