70-200 big discount at B&H

steveshinn

<p>Hey Bob,<br /> Don't know what to tell you but there are at least TWO different prices for this at B&H. The one using the code that I cited gets you $400 off. My order placed four days ago and good to 7 Jan;</p>

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" width="510">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><strong>Item</strong></td>

<td bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><strong>Qty</strong></td>

<td bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><strong>Item Description</strong></td>

<td bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><strong>Price</strong></td>

<td bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><strong>Total Price</strong></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="5"></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>SHCA7020028L</td>

<td>1.00</td>

<td>EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens<br /></td>

<td>1974.00</td>

<td>1974.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="5"></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table border="0" width="510">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td align="left"><strong> </strong></td>

<td align="right"><strong>Subtotal:</strong> 1974.00<br /> <strong>Shipping Charges:</strong> 1.75<br /> <strong>Taxes:</strong> 0.00<br /> <strong>Total:</strong> 1975.75</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>I didn't know that they have had a special discount item, and bought the other one a month ago, with Canon's US$300 instant-rebate discount for US$2074. Thanks to this post I have contacted B&H and they were kind to offer a US$100 refund. Thank you Steve, I owe you a beer...</p>

<p>I saw the two prices. I have no idea why there are two prices but I know in the past that the same thing has happened. I guess B&H sometimes run their own specials on top of the Canon specials. It's possible that as an official Canon dealer, B&H may have to run ads at no lower than the prices required by Canon. There are various MAP (minimum advertised price) agreements that manufacturers make with stores. The store can sell at whatever price they want, but they can't advertise a price lower than the MAP if they want to keep an official relationship with the manufacturer.</p>

<p>That's one reason why some stores may require you to "click for a price" or even send you a price by email rather than posting it on their web page.</p>

<p>The US courts have generally ruled that MAP programs are not illegal and do not violate anti-trust laws.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There are various MAP (minimum advertised price) agreements that manufacturers make with stores. The store can sell at whatever price they want, but they can't advertise a price lower than the MAP if they want to keep an official relationship with the manufacturer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The special price on the 70~200/2.8 was originally a Facebook-only special that's gotten a little viral. Glad we could make some Canon customers happy.</p>

<p>MAP rules do say we can sell for whatever we want but must not show or advertize prices below the MAP floor value. This is entirely legal. More recently the Supreme Court's decision in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leegin_Creative_Leather_Products,_Inc._v._PSKS,_Inc.">Leegin Creative</a> has opened the door for 'unilateral pricing,' where the manufacturer or US disftibutor sets the minimum selling price. Sony instituted this via their <a href="http://www.twice.com/article/244551-Sony_Adds_New_Premium_Goods_Sales_Policy.php">SURE</a> program in May 2008 and more recently Nikon USA has adopted the same policy. Failure to abide results in <em><strong>severe</strong></em> penalties to the retailer.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Generally RPM (resale price maintenance) is illegal in Europe (EU countries), but is not illegal in the US under the latest supreme court ruling. However I think there are some states statutes which make RPM illegal in that state. I suppose the supreme court ruling would trump any state statutes but I suspect most manufacturer's wouldn't really want to open that can of worms!</p>

<p>I'm a little surprised that Facebook Specials aren't classified as "advertising a price lower than the MAP", but I guess defining "advertising" is why some lawyers get the big bucks...</p>

<p>I don't know if this adds anything or not - especially since Henry posted, and he know far more about this than the rest of us. However... I did get information about this lower pricing at B&H by email today, and I posted some information about it at the "deals" page at my blog. (I track some of these things at my blog, but no link here since that probably wouldn't be the most ethical way for me to use the PN forum... ;-)</p>

<p>As many know, there is a current "instant rebate" on a large selection of Canon lenses and speedlites - one of the better such offers I've seen recently, in that the price reductions are substantial, a larger than usual selection of products is included, and products ranging from entry-level to specialized, high-end gear are part of the deal. (I picked up a couple lenses myself.)</p>

<p>This promotion runs for a bit more than another week, ending on January 7.</p>

<p>Dan</p>