Could 580ex ii be damaged?

nick_marzinski

<p>Last weekend, I was setting up for a portrait shoot, and I was having trouble seeing if my Speedlite flash slaves were firing with the master. To check my 580 ex ii slave, I cupped my hand near the head of it (about an inch away) and fired the master. Clearly, this was not one of the more intelligent things I've ever done. The flash from the slave didn't hurt my hand, but got me to move it away in a hurry (and firmly resolve never to do that again). There was also a slight burning smell (whether from my hand or the flash, I'm not certain), though no smoke. I checked the flash's printed manual, and it doesn't have any warnings about minimum distance or covering the flash. Furthermore, the flash immediately recharged and has worked fine since (at various power levels and zoom lengths) with no smell whatsoever, so I think it's unlikely that it's been damaged. Nonetheless, that burning smell has me thinking. I'm just curious if this could have hurt the flash. </p>

<p>Your Speedlite should be fine.</p>

<p>I took the temperature reading about an inch away from the flash head of my Canon 580EX II Speedlite tilted upwards at a 90° angle to the horizontal with a Mastercraft Temperature Reader with Digital Display & Laser Pointer. The Speedlite was set to Manual 1/1 output.</p>

<p>I fired three times in about 5 seconds. The temperature reading was <strong>110° Celsius</strong> on average. This specific warning may or may not be listed in the latest manual.</p>