Lens question/suggestions

robertpete

<p>I'd like to get some feedback on lens choices..I'm about to buy a 7D and I'm wondering what lens to buy first. I'm tossing up the idea of either the Canon 24-105mm F4L or the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8. I shoot 90% landcape, abandoned buildings, but I have the opportunity to start portrait/model work. Any ideas would be fabulous!</p>

Do you prefer details or sweeping landscapes/entire buildings?

For details a longer lens like 24-105 is fine. Otherwise a little wider (17-55/2.8 or 15-85) or even a lot wider would be

better.

The same goes for portraits; environmental, tight? Shallow depth of field?

There's a lot to choose from.

More info would help.

M.

<p>Matthijs..I'm a details kinda guy, especially with landscapes..I should also mention that I will have regular access to the Canon 16-35mm F2.8L and the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L, but won't be keeping those in my bag. With portraits, I like the look of great background blur. Better?</p>

<p>Until I recently got the Sigma 17-50, the 24-105 practically lived on my 7D, and it stays in my bag. It's a great lens, and I have no reservations in recommending it, especially since you have access to a wider lens. I valued IS and the added range over the one extra stop of aperture.</p>

<p>Thanks Jay!<br>

Its nice to here from someone that actually knows how to answer a simple question..some people here get way too technical with their answers to simple questions!<br>

I've also thought about the Sigma 17-50..maybe I should take a second look at that lens to add to my purchase :-)</p>

<p>Since you are thinking of Sigma 17-50 you could also consider the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS. Very good image quality, and the IS helps a lot in low light. I used it on a 350D and now it is a principal walk-around zoom on my 7D.<br>

Since I like also close ups/details I often walk around with the 70-200/4L...<br>

Out of the two lenses that you mention I would choose the 24-105 (for the focal range.. - I had no first hand experience)</p>

<p>You also need to take a good, hard look at the Canon EF-S 15-85mm lens. It has the additional virtue of being able to get in very close (although like all of these zooms, it's not a true macro).</p>

<p>It's a wonderful lens covering from a nice wide angle to a telephoto range -- it is simply the EF-S (APS-C. "crop") equivalent of the older EF 24-105mm lens you are considering. Some people are happy with nothing on the wide end (24mm is a 'normal' lens on the 7D). I personally would find "regular access" availability of a wider (the 16mm) to be too limiting unless you carry it regularly and swap.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Its nice to here from someone that actually knows how to answer a simple question..some people here get way too technical with their answers to simple questions!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's also not nice to gripe about people who have taken the time to try to answer your "simple" question.<br /> If agreement with your original, and apparently preferred, choice is the criterion, just go ahead and get the lens you want.</p>

Only L with IS means you can't go wide.

If it were me I'd get the EF-s 15-85 IS and use that until I'm sure which focal length I prefer for portraits. And when I do I'll

get a nice prime in that range.

But within your parameters: 24-105/4L IS plus 100L IS macro should be all you need.

M.

<p>I know I wasn't too impressed w/ the 24-105/4, especially on the crop. Frankly, it's IQ just wasn't as stunning as I originally expected it to be. For portraiture it was no better than a 28-135 and the slow speed really limited my creative control. I know some people think it's the bees knees, but I found it distorted at the wide end, soft at the long end, and a 'bit' slow to get decent bokeh out of. I ended up getting a 24-70/2.8L to replace it, and was much happier with that guy.</p>

<p>That said, I also own a Sigma 24-70/2.8 HSM (used as a backup for the L during 'working' hours). While it isn't quite as good as the L equiv. It's proven better than the 24-105/4. I found it's IQ to be quite good, with great color, and equiv. sharpness. It also gave me considerably better bokeh. Of course it doesn't have IS (or OS ;-) ), so, depending on your level of skill, may be less useable than the 24-105/4 in certain lighting. Plus there's the extra 35mm of soft long end. That and the all-important red ring ;-) (oft considered the single most important factor!).</p>

<p>Personally, I'd recommend trying some of the wider f2.8 zooms (17-55, 17-50, etc.) before committing to a 24-105/4, for your crop camera, they are cheap, and good! The IQ will likely be as good or better (within the focal range), plus the flexibility to go wider than eff. 35mm and f2.8 <em>+ IS.</em> </p>

<p>"I shoot 90% landcape, abandoned buildings, but I have the opportunity to start portrait/model work. Any ideas would be fabulous!". Well, that statement would make me seriously consider the 5D mk2 instead of the 7D.<br>

I know this is somewhat off the topic, but since you also consider the 24-105, I cant help to add this comment.<br>

24-105 4L is a nice versatile lens for a FF body for your intended purpose that the croped system dont match. The 15-85 zoom is between 1,5-2 stops worse when it comes to background blur compared to 24-105 on FF.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Have you considered the 17-55/2.8 IS? Ever since I went EF-S about 4 (5?) years ago (first with the 40D and then with the 7D) I traded 3 EF lenses (17-40, 24-105, 100 macro) for 3 EF-S lenses (10-22, 17-55, 60 macro respectively) and never looked back. Of the three the 17-55 has been my main lens and I shot tens of thousands of pictures with it. The combination of superb IQ, fast aperture (for shallower DoF and faster AF), very useful FL range and <a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/809532/0#7482263">IS</a> made it peerless. I even sold my <a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/607298/0">35/1.4 L</a> and <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/717198/">Sigma 50/1.4</a> as they became redundant. I recently came back from a 2 months trip in India and again it was my main lens, accounting for the majority of my shots.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>Sorry I'm late getting back to this, but I picked the Sigma 17-50 over the Tamron option in part because of filter size; it takes a 77mm filter like most of my other lenses (24-105 included). The Canon does, as well, but the Sigma cost much less and included a hood, as well. I haven't had any issues with Sigma lenses like others have, and this 17-50 is an excellent performer.</p>

<p>I decided against the 15-85 because I dislike variable aperture zooms. Everything else about that lens seems great but that.</p>

<p>I already had the focal range of the 17-50 covered between my 10-20mm and the 24-105, but indoors it's easy to need to go wider and longer than 24 pretty quickly, and I didn't want to be constantly changing lenses. The 17-50 works like a charm for that. The 24-105 or 70-200 come out when I need something longer.</p>

<p>You'll enjoy the Sigma...it's a great lens for getting used to the controls on your 7D.</p>