Polarizer and/or gold reflector useful for food photography or not?

markus maurer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Markus, are you shooting in RAW file format and RGB color settings on your camera ... and then processing in 16bit ProPhoto color space in post? </p>

<p>Even though web images are 8 bit, sRGB color space, it is much better to start with all of the capture data your camera will provide you for post processing. It will allow far more adjustment latitude for maintaining highlight and shadow control, refining contrast and saturation settings to help bring the food alive.</p>

<p>While the objective of lighting is to avoid post as much as possible, when one doesn't have a digital back with oodles of dynamic range, or sunlight creating fresnels, or perfectly balanced soft-boxes ... then post can sometimes be a great help. It need not be a crutch, but instead just another tool in trek toward the final image.</p>

<p>-Marc</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZyYA-439829584.jpg.713c309f4eb7f2df2a72361c500e504f.jpg</div>

<p>Marc, thanks for your modifications, I like the dodgeing and burning and softening but the scene was a bit cooler in reality than your sligthly, on the orange side, version which does look more inviting. The blue of the tablet is nearer to the original in my version as are the dates but the drinks and apples look a lot better with your enhancements.<br /> I understand, that I do have to take my time in postprocessing with selective enhancements. I do use raw and Adobe RGB in camera and 16-bit pro photo during the conversion and pp and only convert to 8-bit sRGB as the very final step before safeing as JPG for the web. BTW, does any professional use image stacking for more dof or hdr for more dynamic range with food photography and do they have to remove unwanted reflections like the one behind the second glass in pp as well or are they able to eliminate them completly before shooting?</p>

Markus, no focus stacking. Better control of DOF is available using a tilt/shift lens just like we used to do with the camera movements of a large format view camera. With a tilt/shift lens you can increase or decrease the DOF and place the plane of focus where

you want it across the scene. And you can use reasonable f/stops that are the best for sharpness instead of resorting

to f/32 or shooting wide open. I use Nikon's 85mm tilt/shift lens because it's a nice slight telephoto for good size

relationships.

No HDR is needed or desired when you can control the lighting and dynamic range of the scene.

There are always some things that could use retouching. Digital makes retouching routine.

<p>Brooks, like the way you included light toned objects in the background such as the bananas and sliced pineapple to contrast and bring out the darker toned somewhat backlit Toll House smoothie.</p>

<p>Also surprised your client went for such foreshortening of the logo but it works and the eyes really flow well across the image with a triangular formation starting with the top of the smoothie then to the red raspberries and then the logo and around and around. Brilliant!</p>

<p>To upload an image for it to appear inline within the thread it needs to be 700 pixel on the longest end whether vertical or horizontal. You can upload that right after the point you click "confirm" after posting a comment which takes you to the next page where you click a "Choose File" button that will show a dialog box showing your computer's hierarchal directory to locate the image. You must write some type of comment in the space provided below this "Choose File" button after the name of the image shows up next to this button.</p>

<p><em><strong>"....Brooks, I've done a shot with rapid fall-of by just using a shallow dof with my 28-105 lens. Can you tell me the difference a tilt shift lens makes? I'm just curious. I'm not sure how to add my photo here to show you--I haven't added a photo to a thread before......."</strong></em></p>

<p><br /> The tilt function on a tilt/shift lens allows you to angle the lens plane relative to the sensor (film) plane so that they are no longer parallel. It's the same function that a view camera has when you tilt or swing (horizontal tilt) the lens standard. If you bisect the angle between the sensor plane and subject plane with your lens plane you increase your DOF along the subject plane without needing tight f/stops or you can get even more sharpness than you could by only using small f/stops.</p>

<p>What that also does is allow you to control where your focus plane lies in your image. You can increase your DOF beyond what simply stopping down your lens allows and you can use that increased DOF without resorting to diffraction causing f/32. Or...you can tilt the lens the opposite direction to create a shalow DOF while still using the sharpest f/stop your lens offers such as f/8.</p>

<p>In the raspberry drink sample above, I was able to place the focus plane along the front surface of the cup by tilting the lens plane up. That angle of the lens plane bisected the angle formed between the cup face and the sensor so the focus layed along the front of the cup. You can't do that with focus stacking without affecting the rest of the DOF or by using f/stop alone.</p>

<p>Here's a sample shot showing the shallow DOF control a tilt lens provides. This was shot at f/15 and yet with a tilt of the lens plane I could guarantee the gloves and keys in the foreground were sharp by laying the focus plane right across them while controlling exactly where and when and by how much the background would be soft.</p>

<p>Shot in the studio with strobes in a fresnel spot and soft box....</p><div>00ZywN-440185584.jpg.1874c4b9e9cf81a6beadab153897a9b9.jpg</div>