Nikon Wednesday 2012: #9

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hello Nikonistas, and a good Wednesday to everyone. I noticed that Nik Sotware have released a version o their cool little editor (Snapseed) for the Winows desktop. As with so many tests, my dogs are my lab victims. It's even easier when they're asleep. So, here's just such a shot, run quickly through Snapseed for the artsy treatment. It's a fun little piece of software (I really like it on the iPad), and you can try it for 15 days for free. Why not? Have a favorite test subject when you're trying out post production tools? Share a photo!</p><div>00a4kP-446323584.jpg.90ac4d716bea0e41f38d7b53345fcf08.jpg</div>

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>On a quiet Sunday morning in the fall of 1990 the freighter Jupiter, with a hold full of unleaded gasoline, exploded in flames on the Saginaw River in Bay City, Michigan. A passing ship's wake seperated the lines that were off loading her cargo and a spark on the dock ignited over one million gallons of fuel that was still aboard. One crewmember drowned as he tried to swim for shore, Remarkably, the rest of the crew managed to escape the inferno. I was a few blocks away at the time of the explosion and managed to get to the scene before authorities established an exclusion zone.<br>

Mined last week from an old negative, cropped and tweeked in Fastone.</p><div>00a4kX-446327784.jpg.18a05eebf11c0e56360b8f185bd0e95d.jpg</div>

<p>In response to Matt's challenge, albeit nothing as fine as his: this is the trash area outside the Trader Joe in Eastchester NY. I took the picture because I was struck by the geometric and textural variations; I played with it extensively in PS and ended up with a couple of b&w versions and several variants of the color, ranging in saturation, blues, yellows, reds, etc. It was fun and I learned a bit.</p><div>00a4l9-446343584.jpg.256906ff9f0af2b83bd2c9f8e6c03031.jpg</div>

<p>Goodmorning Nikonians! And good night to those of you who are going to bed now!<br>

<br />Thank you very much to those of you who commented on my picture of the dandelion seed in the tomato last week. Much appreciated :-)<br /> <br />The effect with Snapseed looks great, Matt. And I like the position and the big paws of your dog in that picture. Many great pictures here already. Just to mention a few: Cory A.’s landscape, Sandford E.’s van with the paintings and René V.’s portrait with the beer glass effect. That was cool, René!<br /> <br />My picture this week was taken at the local beach in May 2010. The pattern was made in sand by the wind. I didn’t notice the shape until recently when I was looking for a ripples picture. This is all made by mother nature. She did a great job. I just took the picture, removed the background that was above the round part, no cutt was made. I copied and flipped, made it 3D “by hand” and added a red layer. And it turned out to be “The Valentine Torso” :-)</p>

<p> </p><div>00a4lN-446351584.jpg.9cd7dff879573d8446b9756d074d7eb5.jpg</div>