Reliability and durability: Epson 1280 vs. 2200

I have seen the print outs form Epson 2200 is a great printer.

What about 1280 is it as good as the 2200.

<b>Reliability and durability</b> are important to me. Most my work will be

photo print out of 11" by 14" sometime bigger. Any suggestion which

be a better work horse.

According to a Epson service representative I spoke with, the pigment-based printers have fewer problems than the dye-based ones, but on the other hand they have been available for a shorter time, and fewer units have been sold, so I'm not sure whether the difference is real.

I'd get the 2100 but I cannot justify the running costs. More expensive paper and inks to get the longer life. The good thing about it is that it's expensive enough to be worthwhile servicing after the warranty is out. Go get it, the more Epson sells them the cheaper I will be able to buy one in the future! :-)

The bottom line is whether or not you need archival output. The printers are very similar in capability (the 1280 will produce slightly more dramatic wide-gamut output) but the prints will not be archival.

I'm not positive on this, but I think the 1280 is a little bit faster. Other things to consider include the ability of the 2200 to use the matte photo black ink position, the 2200 comes with a roll paper dispenser and cutter, and the 2200's use of separate ink cartridges (already mentioned).

If you are going to display for a short period and then chuck the stuff when the show is over, go with the 1280. If you are selling your work you'll need the 2200 unless you frequently change your address / phone number.

Just curious, how long will a 1280 print last? My 1280 is so new that none of my prints has been around for very long. To be more specific, a print from 1280 hanging on the wall of your average living room, well lit but with no direct sunlight on it, how long can it last?

I am not selling my prints. If it fades, I'll just print another one. I don't consider my $399 Epson 1280 a very major investment (after the $100 rebate). I'll upgrade in a couple of years anyway.