12 days Peru: Maccu Piccu, Inca Trail, Cusco. Film and cameras?

harry_templeton

<p>Hello all,<br /> I am going on a school-sponsored trip to Peru lasting 12 days in mid-June. we will be staying in Cusco and then hiking the Inca Trail to Maccu Piccu. I may not be back to this area for a very long time, so i want to have memorable shots that i can enlarge/print digitally to a good size.<br>

<br /> I cannot bring my DSLR: my parents are afraid of thefts and damage. The warranty/insurance requires at least partial recovery of the camera. The D-7000 is not an option, I'm not going to argue with them about something small like this.<br /> I do not want to bring a digital point and shoot, the dynamic range and tonal qualities often leave me wanting something more and i do not compose well with them in comparison to larger/less automated cameras. In brief, they encourage me to, well, point and shoot, then walk on.<br>

<br /> Of course, this means i will be bringing some sort of film camera. I have a Nikkormat FT3, a Nikon N-70, and a Rolleiflex 3.5C Xenotar. I am comfortable shooting with any of the cameras, and I cannot make up my mind. they all work properly and consistently. Weight is not a consideration, the pack will contain much heavier things than a 35mm SLR or 6x6 TLR.<br /> If i take an SLR it will be with a 50 F/1.8D and a standard zoom of some sort. The Rollei has that lovely 75 f/3.5 Xenotar lens and the big huge 6x6 frames but no meter. with color negs and sunny 16 I'm fine without one. Maybe ill bring a compact digital camera for tricky metering and random snapshots.<br>

<br /> I would want a slow film or two, and then Kodak Portra 400 for anything and everything. Ive seen great results with that film at 3200 ISO. <br /> Ektar 100 and portra 160 are the other films i will probably bring, and then a few rolls of Tri X. but suggestions would still be nice.<br>

<br /> Also, a slide film <em>Might</em> be good to have, any suggestions? I've used velvia, but the lab still hasn't gotten it back to me yet. :/ The last 1 day dip and dunk E-6 place near me, A&I, just stopped doing slides. :( sad times.<br>

<br /> How much film should I bring? my guess is 15-20 rolls if i go with 120 film, and probably 10-15 rolls for 35mm. Does this sound about right for someone who shoots a fair amount going on a trip with people who may or may not have that much patience? Id rather have too much film than too little.<br>

<br /> few more questions (sorry, i just want to be sure i don't show up with the wrong tools for the job)<br /> Tripod: i have a manfrotto 3221 tripod w/ a 3030 head, but it is not a good fit in a backpack. I don't mind the weight, its only about 7 or 8 pounds last time i checked, it just doesn't fit. its too tall for my pack.<br>

However, i have tried a few table top tripods etc. and those might be perfect. Any recommendations for a small budget one that works well?<br>

<br /> What light conditions can i expect on the inca trail? It goes up to 14000 feet, and i have summited mountains over 14000, but i can't remember how the light is different if at all. I know there is more UV radiation, but is anything else different in terms of exposure or color?<br>

<br /> Also, what is a typical exposure reading for inside a cloud forest at different times of day (morning, afternoon, sunset, clear, cloudy etc.)? and for out in the open at high altitude?<br>

I will be taking landscapes, street photography, documenting the trip, some wildlife if we get lucky, and some snapshots here and there as well just for the heck of it.<br /> Sorry for the long post, but i just wanted to get the questions out there all in one go.<br>

<br /> Thank you for your help,<br /> Harry</p>

<p>Camera: There are advantages to the N70. It has a very good meter, and it is extremely cheap on the used market. You could easily buy a second one to give you a backup body. Even though your three choices are in good condition now, you can never predict when a camera will break, and it would be a huge disappointment if that happened on the trip. There are also advantages to the Rolleiflex. You've already mentioned the size of the neg. Also, its waist-level viewer would work with a short tripod, possibly enabling you to take more than a table-top one.</p>

<p>Tripod: Especially if you take the Rolleiflex, consider a regular but shorter tripod than your 3221, something like a Manfrotto 190 series or the old 3001 or 3205 (shorter versions of what you have.)</p>

<p>Light at altitude: You already now about the UV. Light can get very blue at high altitudes, depending on the time of day. Also, polarizing filters can result in very dark skies.</p>

<p>Film: I'm not current.</p>

<p>Weight: Despite my suggestions above as to taking a second body and and regular, but short, tripod, try to keep the weight of your pack as low as possible. I realize that you're young, but the altitude can have a major effect. Going up to a summit may be different than a long time on a high altitude trail. If you're carrying significantly more weight than your equally young companions, it may make for an unhappy trip.</p>

<p>Sounds like a great trip, and that you're well along in your preparations.</p>

<p>Check with restrictions on the tripod and the park.<br>

Both of your cameras will have the same field of view. I would look for another lens for your nikons.<br>

Try to shoot some velvia 50, efke 25, and tmax 400 before the trip to see if you like them.<br>

Bring a small digicam so you can also use it as a lightmeter of sorts.<br>

We had a great time there. Never felt worried walking around with my dslr - camping on the trail might be different though. When I go back it will be hiking and camping on the trail. <br>

Get up early and go to Huayna Picchu.</p>

<p>If you're not concerned about weight, you haven't walked much with a heavy pack. Or you're very tough. Every little thing adds up to a lot, so don't start writing too many things off as, "I'm already carrying heavy stuff". Also, altitude.</p>

<p>Ive done a lot of 4-5 day backpacks, but yeah you're right, I don't <em>want</em> to carry something heavy like the manfrotto, it'd be too much of PITA to lug that thing all the way up a mountain pass. I take better photos when I'm happy to have my equipment, not cursing at it. the manfrotto is overkill anyways for such light cameras, i just like the precision of the tripod and the heft is good when i don't need to move far. But yes id rather save weight on tripods, i was just saying that saving money is more important than carbon fiber leg sets for me.<br>

Most of my backpacking has been in the 4000-12000 foot range in forested or mountainous regions, similar to this hike's main sections. I also do beach backpacking often, the lost coast in NoCal is gorgeous. Most of the time my pack has been 40 pounds or so, 50 on exceptional days or if i get shafted into carrying really heavy stuff. 30 pounds is a very light pack for me. It should be pretty light here actually, the large/heavy food and water supplies are cached at campsites.<br>

that leaves in a nutshell: Raingear, warm layer, Sleeping bag, ultralight thermarest, 10 essentials, 1-2 changes of clothes, plus water and snacks for the trail. thats under 15 pounds i think. I usually don't pack much personal gear on backpacking trips. Cameras and film will be a rare exception in this case.<br>

I think a table top tripod would be good also because they set up so fast: i hate keeping people waiting when I'm not actually composing, just getting ready. It would only work really well for the Rolleiflex, the others would require rocks to perch it on if i wanted to look into the viewfinder.<br>

Ive shot velvia 50, but it hasn't come back from the lab yet. It was the first film i shot in the rolleiflex.<br>

Tmax 400 and Efke 25 i have not used, but i have heard good things. A real slow film like the Efke could be good. Tmax if i want different look than Tri-X i guess. Ill give them a try soon.<br>

I can't remember if we are doing Huayna Piccu, i hope we are. Ill suggest it to the trip leaders, and see if were doing that.<br>

How much film? and how much of each speed? suggestions for 120 and 135 please? Ill probably bring a few rolls of black and white. I shoot film much slower than digital. id bring the compact digital for sure. it takes up very little room, theres a pocket just right for it in my camera bag.<br>

Do you recommend a warming filter? or just a UV filter? or nothing? for the blue cast i mean.</p>

<p>Just my opinion - if you are old enough to go on such a trip, then you are old enough to determine if you should take your DSLR. If your parents are all that concerned about YOUR DSLR then perhaps as a Bon Voyage present they could purchase an insurance policy for YOUR camera. Why go on a trip of a lifetime without your best gear?<br>

I hope that you and your group will be using the services of a local guide, cooks and porters for your trek. The people of the region are very poor, and tourism services provide a source of income for the local communities. Every trip is more enjoyable for me knowing that to some degree I have contributed to the welfare of the local people.<br>

I wouldn't bother with a tripod. I have been there twice and found that a tripod was not necessary.<br>

If you do shoot film, I recommend a warming filter.<br>

The affects of altitude on your physical endurance can not be emphasized enough. Go slow. Drink copious amounts of water.<br>

Sounds like a great trip - enjoy it.<br>

I also recommend that you research any current duties or fees related to visiting Peru with several cameras and lenses to avoid any surprises or hassles.</p>

<p>Yes, we are using local guide companies etc. I agree completely about using local companies when traveling and avoiding chains that leech money out of the community. Local guides are great. Often they have amazing stories to tell and can give tips about the best local spots for food and entertainment that an outside based worker might not know.<br /> We're also doing several days of community service at a Cusco children's center, which i will enjoy immensely. There's something really special about knowing that you personally touched someone's life, whether they're in your hometown or halfway across the world.<br /> No DSLR is not a problem, a part of me wanted to take film anyways. i don't know why, maybe its the way skin is rendered and the colors are unique. And for black and white. black and white film is wonderful.<br /> Ok ill look up the duties/rules for equipment. No tripod or tabletop sized would be easier by far than lugging a full tripod up a mountain.<br /> How dark is it in the cloud forests? Any EV values? I've heard it can be very dark even in daylight.</p>

<p>On my trips, once in December and the other in Mid-June, I did not hike the trail or get to the cloud forests. However I encountered rain, showers, overcast, clouds, as well as brilliant sun both times - the difference in the time of year was more with temperature than anything else. Pleased to see that your group will be giving something back to the local communities. The added benefit too is that you will be touched by their lives. People, when you actually get to meet and interact with them, are seldom like what you have been told, read or saw on television. Rain forests can be very dark. When I shot slides I typically used ISO 400 or 800 in those locales.</p>

<p>Alright, I'm leaning towards bringing both nikon 35mm bodies, or just one of them (either is good) and two lenses, a 50 1.8 and a 28-105 manual focus zoom. <br>

400 speed Portra is probably what ill bring the most of. Some Ektar and portra 160 for brighter light. (i could load one camera with fast film and the other with slower film).<br>

Big question is: X-ray safety. I am going through 2 airports i believe, 4 over the whole trip. And the 400 might get pushed to 1600 at times. Do i just put the film containers in a ziplock, keep the cameras unloaded, use those clearish plastic containers, and show it to the security/customs people?<br>

Is it easy to get a hand inspection? do i just show them "look here in these plastic containers, this is film. its in a metal canister and it has a leader sticking out, no danger here." and then walk on? it'd be 15+ rolls split among 3-4 people (to avoid the customs rules about 'professional equipment')<br>

Is an X-ray likely to damage 400-1600 speed film if i cannot get an inspection?</p>

<p>on second thought, i love the rolleiflex's bigger film. I might bring the N-70, the 28-105, and the rolleiflex, and the lumix compact. Then i have wide, telephoto, and standard lenses covered, as well as snapshots. The vivitar 28-105 lens is actually quite good. Manual focus however, but it works great anyways. <br>

I won't have any apertures bigger than f/3.5, but thats decently fast for daytime, cloudy days and deep shade, and usable for indoors and twilight. With the Rolleiflex, I've tried the fast B&W films and underexposing Portra 400, and the results were promising. So that would be the low light camera. I've done braced 1/8 second shots no tripod, worked decently well.</p>

<p> </p>