Nikon 70-300 VR Issue

User_2019667

<p>I know that Greg Miller recently posted a question about the problem he was having with his 70-300 VR not auto focusing as it should. The problem I'm having with my 70-300 VR is after I depress the shutter button and release it the image in the viewfinder shakes from side to side in a jerky motion. The image that I recorded is in focus but what would cause that image to jump in the viewfinder after the shutter button is released? I took Matt's advise to Greg and cleaned the contacts on my lens and my camera, D90 but it still does the herky jerky motion. No problem with any other lens.</p>

<p>Try disabling the VR on the lens and see if the problem continues. I used a relative's D40x or D60 once, and on taking a photo the viewfinder image jumped slightly (not back and forth, just one slight shift). In that case, the VR was definitely involved, as the the shifting stopped when the VR was disabled. The lens was a 18-105mm, and it has been used extensively since then with no other problems, so the ultimate cause was never determined.</p>

<p>Canon IS and Nikon VR move a few special elements inside the lens to counteract vibration. Therefore, if you pay attention, you can see the image in the viewfinder shake as those elements move. However, typically it is not very obious for Nikon lenses that I have used. Once I tested a Tamron 70-300 Di VC, and the shake is quite serious in the viewfinder: <a href="../equipment/tamron/70-300di-vc/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/70-300di-vc/</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>When engaged, Tamron’s VC make a noticeable “click” sound and if you pay close attention to the image in the camera’s viewfinder, it will make a sharp jump before settling down, which indicates that the VC elements are making some quick movement inside. In contrast, Nikon’s VR is smoother and quieter.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I appreciate the input from everyone. Peter you are absolutely correct. I did contact Nikon USA and spoke with a customer service employee and he assured me that it is perfectly normal for the movement to occur when the VR is turned on. And of course when it is turned off the movement does not happen just as Gerry B. said in his response. I guess I just never noticed it before but I'm happy that it is not a serious problem with the lens.<br>

Thanks again to all.<br>

John P.</p>

<p>Elliot, When I say "shaking from side to side" I mean a vibrating jerking motion. I bought mine used also a couple years ago when I first bought the D90. Both the lens and the camera have been great so far. I just started noticing the shaking with the 70-300 very recently. So I hope it's nothing more than the VR acting "normally" as both Peter and the Service rep. at Nikon said. Time will tell.</p>

<p>John, I own numerous VR lenses. My 70-300mm exhibited an unusual jerking motion only at the time of the failure. While I hope yours is not failing, there is no way of me knowing if what I experienced is the same as what you are having. For the cost of postage, you can find out for sure. If you VR is working OK, you may not have to worry about at, at least at the moment. </p>

<p>FWIW, when my lens had the jerky motion, the VR was not working properly.</p>

<p>It should be very easy for John P. to find out whether his lens is working properly or not. Shoot a few sample images hand held @ 300mm and 1/1000, 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, and 1/60 sec with VR off and then swtich VR on and try again with those slower shutter speeds. If VR is working properly, sharpness should be clearly improved when you hand hold at 1/125, 1/60 and perhaps 1/30 sec.</p>

<p>As I said, the shake and sound from VR/VC on the Tamron 70-300 is a lot more serious than on the Nikon 70-300.</p>

<p>It sounds like something that I'm having with my 70-300. On mine, if I zoom to 135mm and activate the VR, the viewfinder shakes for as long as the VR is active. If I zoom in or out past 135mm, the viewfinder calms down and resumes normal operation. I suspect that on mine, there is a short from previous impact damage that might be causing the VR motor to "go ape" at that particular focal length.</p>

<p>I don't think this is the same as the viewfinder clicking into place as it is activated, but a continual oscillation due to the VR motor going nuts. If it stops after under a quarter of a second, it might be just the VR activating and finding itself, but on mine, it vibrates until I change the zoom. It also sometimes makes a rather unnerving scraping-like sound. Still works, though, but as I've already had it repaired once, I think I'll just get another, should it go completely.</p>