5D II or 600D+ up to 2999$ for lenses Weddings

nathaniel_geller

<p>I have thinking really a lot these days for upgrading my equipment! Thank you very much in advance you are really helping me!<br />I'm planning to do WEDDING photography as second photographer(the first has 5D2 + 24-105L +50 1.8+ 100 macro + 70-300 non L and Rebel backup body, 430 EX II).<br />I have a budget 2000 - 3000$ for new purchases and currently I own 600D+ Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS +50 1.8, 430 EX II)<br />I have 2 Main Choices:<br />1/ Get 5D2 and keep 600d as backup(I have to sell Sigma 17-70, maybe also the Tokina 11-16)<br /> 1.1 I got offer for 5d2 brand new for 2000$.<br /> 1.2. Get 24-105L Used for 900$<br /> 1.3 up to 500$ cash for other lenses(used 17-40,70-300 non L...).<br /><br />2/. Keep the 600D body (I can rent for free similar back up body for the day ) and get the best possible lenses (used) for 2000-3000$.<br /> 2.1. Get 24L II (used) for 1400$ + my 50 1.8 +85 1.8 (used) for 400$ + up to 1000$ cash<br /> 2.2. Get 70-200 2.8 IS II new for 2400$ + up to 500$ cash<br /> 3.3. If you have other suggestions, please write them - lensnes up to 2999$ (used or new)!<br /><br />I have a bunch of dilemmas in my head and I have to made my choice very soon. Also I'm thinking to made the best choice in order to be the most supportive the first photographer equipment(5D2+24-105...). Now I'm 27 and I want to work professionally in photography. My very best photos are in landscape photography. I have 1 approximately year experience with DSLRs and post processing applications . The prices above are the current I an find in Bulgaria. Please, help me to make the right choice! THANK YOU! :)<br />Nick</p>

<p>There is no one right answer for your question so my advice to you is to go to the first photographer and ask him what does he think. If he thinks the files from your 600D is good enough for him then upgrade your lenses. Otherwise, upgrade your body.</p>

<p>But a more important question is why do you want to upgrade at all? What do you want to do today that your current gear does not allow you to? After all, you've already got some nice gear. Maybe (just maybe) a gear upgrade is not necessary at all but a photographer upgrade?</p>

<p>Based on the info above my first instinct is to tell you to buy nothing. Shoot for several weddings and see/feel for yourself what is missing. Either that or get an advice from the first photographer. As he is your bread provider his opinion is the only one that's important.</p>

<p>All the best.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>Thank you very much, Yakim! You post have very good psychological insights and points!:)<br>

I want to upgrade because I want to develop my passionate hobby in profession(I don't want to work in law sphere in which I'm graduated ). Photography is one of the most competitive areas and I think that with better equipment it will be easier to me. At the same time I've got money,which I don't use and the inflation slowly eats them.<br>

We discussed a lot the topic with the first photographer, he said it's up to my choice to make the final decision. He thinks that 600d is good enough when used with 430 EX II (ISO 800 will be sufficient in most of the cases).<br>

I'm working hard to upgrade my photographer skills and I think the better equipment will be helpful.Important to me is getting equipment with very good RESALE VALUE (5d2 new for 1900$ is excellent deal, in the stores here it is 2550$). Also I know trusted dealer from which I get like new used lenses on very good prices.Later, at every moment, after a lot of trust work, I can get at least 85-90% of the price paid.<br>

I haven't got experience with wedding photography, the first photographer said it's fully my choice.<br>

If I have choice I'll buy things step by step.But the excellent 1900$ offer for 5d2 probably will be actual up to 1-2 days (I have info in advance). So the main choices are in the two directions:<br>

1/ Get 5D2 and keep 600d as backup(I have to sell Sigma 17-70 OS, maybe also the Tokina 11-16)<br>

2/Keep the 600D body equipment and get the best possible lenses (used) for up to 2999$. Step by step. My proirity are lenses which have better potential to BRING ME BACK THE INVESTMENT(slowly or part of it.). Therefore my eye was toward 24L and 70-200 2.8 IS II. I think that 85 1.8 is helpful and a bargain also.WHICH LENSES if you were in my place will be your suggestions?<br>

THANK YOU in advance for THE RESPONSES, I HAVE TO MAKE DECISION UP TO 1-2 DAYS about the MAIN DIRECTION(5D II or 600D + excellent upgrade for lenses) IF YOU ARE SHORT OF TIME, JUST DROP 1-2 LINES, PLEASE :)</p>

<p>If it is so I'd sell the 600D, 17-70 and 11-16 and get the 5D2 + 24-105. That, plus your 430EX should do <em>very</em> well. As a second photographer I doubt if you'll need more. And while backup is a very important thing to have for a wedding photographer, in this particular case you could use the first photographer's backup if anything happens.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>If you are concerned so much about resale value, upgrading your lenses is going to be the 'best' choice. Of course if you are serious and intent upon pursuing this goal, resale value shouldn't matter two snots to you. Afterall, a camera & lenses are for taking pictures - they've never made good investment pieces. Even a 5D2 you should expect to loose half it's resale value over the next few years.</p>

<p>Personally, I would recommend the good glass. The 11-16/2.8 is an excellent UWA lens, and that, paired w/ a decent 17-55/2.8 IS (or 17-50/2.8) will give you a high degree of coverage w/ exceptional IQ. Pairing that w/ a 70-200/2.8 will cover the entire range you could ever realistically want at a wedding. Toss in a couple primes, and that's all you could want. Plus, as I said, the lenses loose value at much lower rate than camera bodies - Unless you buy used (such as a 5D1).</p>

<p>You ask for opinions, and our opinions are simply what WE would do. Everyone has somewhat different needs, related to their different styles. However, if I were assembling the outfit:</p>

<p>I'd want the 5DII for its low light capabilities and also to take full advantage of the availability of L optics in general.</p>

<p>I'd probably want a 24-70/2.8L, rather than the 24-105/4L (which I prefer for my own work), for its lower light capabilities and shallower depth of field. For wedding photography, the field curvature of the 24-70 would not be as serious an issue as for landscape work. This would be a hard choice for me. I think the IS of the 24-105 might be more useful in some situations -- e.g. flash-prohibited ceremonies, where people aren't exactly jumping around. Also if you have a 24-105 on a full frame and a 70-200 on your crop frame brackup, both hanging around your neck at the same time, you've got a nice continuity of focal length without changing lenses. Just a thought. Too bad there's not a 24-70/2.8L IS.</p>

<p>I'd want the 70-200/2.8L IS, as it's a brilliant portrait lens. It would be truly awful to have to go hiking with one of those things, but for a wedding, it's a good choice.</p>

<p>I'd want some sort of mirrorless camera. I hate mirrorless cameras; however, I remember photographing a wedding in which the bride and groom told me I could do photography during the ceremony without flash, and the church told me I could not do any photography AT ALL during the ceremony because of the noise of my camera (a DSLR). If I had only had a mirrorless camera, I could have shot the ceremony silently and had at least SOMETHING to show the bride and groom.</p>

<p>I would have no need for a 24mm prime. The 24mm end of either the 24-70 or 24-105 would be fine for photographing the reception. I would certainly not use 24mm for photographing the bride/groom/family, because even small distortions that appear inconsequential to you can look horrible to your subjects. By contrast, small distortions in the guests' images won't matter as much to your clients. I still avoid wide angle photography of people wherever possible.</p>

<p>Forget the 50/1.8. It's not really as good a lens as people like to think. Sure, it's sharp in the middle, but it could do better wide open, could have better edge sharpness, and could have better bokeh. It also focuses like a cheap electric drill. Instead, I'd get the 50/1.4 if you want a fast normal prime.</p>

<p>Rather than the 85/1.8, I'd get the 100/2. It's a similar lens, but IMO a slightly better focal length for full frame head/shoulders portrait work.</p>

<p>Although you don't need backup equipment now (because YOU are the primary photog's backup), I'd think in terms of an older APS-C XXD backup, which will have a user interface somewhat like the 5DII. Using a Rebel series camera is a frustrating experience if you're used to Canon's prosumer bodies. I have a 40D as my backup camera. It takes nice pictures, and I bought it rather inexpensively.</p>

<p>With that, you will have a nicer outfit than the primary photog. ;-) There are items here that are essential and items that are not. Personally, I'd forget the primes and get the essential zooms and the 5DII for now. If you can't afford the zooms and the 5DII, get a 5D instead.</p>

<p>Finally, I would google and study the strobist blog. He's got an excellent small flash lighting tutorial that will give you ideas about the other critical, usually neglected end of photography, which is your light. If you want to shine as a photographer, get the light right.</p>

<p>I appreciate your responses and points of view very much- Mark, Marcus, Sarah! Now I see the things more clearly :)<br>

1.So, covering the whole range with good zooms maybe is better for not so expirienced photographer. I like the Marcus suggestion to take 11-16 + 17-55(or 17-50)+ 70-200 2.8. What couple of primes if I cover all with that zooms are your suggestions?<br>

2. I prefer 5D2+ 24-105 than 24-70 because I travel a lot and it's more versatile.<br>

3. When flash use is possible with for e.g. 600d+ 17-55IS, weather 5D2+24-105 high ISO capabilities are giving additional plus?(Maybe it will be more comfortable with 5d2 for the wedding guests using less of the flash power)<br>

4. Please, share me how useful is 70-200 2.8 on crop body indoors?<br>

GREAT Insights, Sarah, I read your post 3 times to understand your explanation better!</p>

<p>I'm not sure weather I'll be able to get new 5D2 for 1900$ soon, and that is one of my main points to buy it- Main Choice 1/. Of course it's more safe to wait and upgrade more gradually after gaining experience. But in my country the used 5d2 are at that price and that stimulate me to get it. On the other hand if soon 5D3 is shipped to Europe it may be not so good deal.Do you expect soon 5d2 prices to drop also? THANK YOU!</p>

<p>Either get another 600D or a 60D. Get a 580EX II plus an 85mm 1.8 lens. If you really like the quality of the 17-70mm keep it and use it for weddings and events otherwise get a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 constant aperture non VC lens and maybe eventually the Canon 70-200mm or even the Tamron 70-300mm to use from the back of the church sometimes. When you start making a lot of money maybe think about upgrading to full frame but meantime you should be able to shoot weddings very well with the 18mp APS-C cameras with good technique. Good luck!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>On the other hand if soon 5D3 is shipped to Europe it may be not so good deal.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

That's a very big if. Canon is notorious in keeping its secrets so nobody knows nothing. Thus I would strongly advise you not to even think about future products, their rumored/speculated specification, their rumored/speculated launching date, their rumored/speculated price and how they can fit in your setup.<br>

<br>

I agree that it's fun to read them but the wise man will ignore them altogether when making a buying decision.<br>

<br>

Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>Keep the gear you have. It's good for backup and the landscape photography that you love.</p>

<p>As for new gear. You could go:</p>

<ul>

<li> 5D2 + 24-105 kit (why buy the lens used when you can get it new as a kit lens for a similar price) + 580EX2. Then start saving for a 70-200/2.8 and a prime or two.</li>

<li>60D + 17-55/2.8 IS + Canon 85/1.8 + 580EX2</li>

</ul>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you for the responses! I had also the idea to get another 60d because of it's 9 AF cross points. Now, on large apertures on 600D, I'm feeling sure to take the proper focus in low light only on the Central AF point(on near to motionless people).<br>

Yakim, with your advice to ignore 5d3 rumors, you really saved me from mess in my head! I like your style of explaining -it' s easy understandable and psyhologically insightful!<br>

So in short, my 2 Main choices are simpler:</p>

<p>1/ 5D2+ 24-105+ 430 EX II (Sell 600d equipment), 50mm 1.4, 85 1.8 mm<br>

2/ Keep 600D+430 EX II, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50 non VC, Canon 70-200 2.8 L (non IS), 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8<br>

The total cost of 1/ and 2/ is identical.</p>

<p>Which equipment will you suggest me to go? Feel free ot offer new suggestions also :)<br>

(as you have in mind the first photographer 90% of the time will be with 5D2 + 24-105 and he said it's up to me to make my choice)</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Nick</p>

<p>I've got another possibility combo between 1&2:<br /> 3/ 5D2 + Tamron 28-75 2.8 + Canon 70-200/ 2.8 L (non IS or IS 1st version (+250$ more than non IS)) , 50mm 1.8</p>

<p>The Tamron 28-75 2.8 have very good reputation and reviews. I saw that 580 EX II is highly recommended, I may upgrade my 430 EX II later.</p>

<p>What is your opinion for 3/ possibility according to main choices 1/ and 2/ ?<br /> THANK YOU!<br /> Nick</p>

<p>I would highly recommend the IS version of the 70-200 2.8 if you are going to get a 70-200 2.8, because you will need it. The extra money you spend on it will be worth it after getting those shots you would have had to throw away because they were blurry due to camera shake on the non IS version.</p>

<p>Thank you, Max! If I get 70-200 I'll get at least the MK1 with IS.Please, share me how much is useful 70-200 2.8 on crop body indoors(weddings)? Isn't it too tight for the most of the situations?</p>

<p>Is it a good idea to get 5D2+ Tamron 28-75 + 70-200 2.8 IS MK1 instead of 5D2+24-105L + and up to 1000$ left for other buyings? So to sum up my thoughts for the MAIN CHOICES:<br>

<br /> 1/ 5D2+430 EX II (Sell all 600d equipment) 24-105l+ 1000$ free (for e.g. 50mm 1.4, 85 1.8 mm,other suggestions)<br>

<br /> 2/ Keep 600D+430 EX II, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50 non VC, Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS Mk II<br>

<br /> 3/ 5D2 +430 EX II (Sell all 600d equipment), Tamron 28-75 2.8 + Canon 70-200/ 2.8 L IS MK I<br>

<br /> I have ONLY 1 DAY to decide to get or not the 5D2 on excellent price! If use the 600D as main body I'll be able with a little difficulties to afford 70-200 2.8 IS II (I'll not get 85 1.8 also). I'm looking forward for your advices!<br /> Please, write me MAIN CHOICES 1/, 2/ or 3/ will you recommend me?:)</p>

<p>Nick</p>

<p>Get the 5D MKII with the 24-105mm as the "kit" lens. It's your primary shooter's main lens for good reason. The 5D2 has exceptional low light performance, so the f/4 is not a problem. You will need a good speedlight flash. Make a 70-200mm your next purchase. Worry about your own kit as a some-day primary shooter. If you and the primary are shooting the same lens sometimes, so what? You can still be shooting at a totally different focal length from a different perspective. Do it now and stop fretting. (The kit price is one of the better deals out there).</p>

<p>I get excellent deal for 50mm 1.4 like brand new yesterday!</p>

<p>I read all your suggestions carefully one more and noticed (Arie Vendervelden) that getting 5D2 for 1900$ and USED 24-105 may be done in better way: 5D2 plus 24-105 as a kit lens - NEW for just a little more money.</p>

<p>The first photographer told me that for sure I should sell my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS, because in manual mode it will be very difficult to calculate the precise settings with Non-constant aperture lens(weddings).</p>

<p>Yesterday I made a lot of people shots with Canon 70-300 non L and I'm very enthusiastic about catching spontaneous people emotions. I'm in temptation to keep my 600D and get 70-200 2.8 IS II. How useful is it indoors (e.g. in typical restaurant, low light) on 1.6x body? :)<br /> Nick</p>

<p>IQ wise 70-200/2.8 IS II is a killer lens and will perform superbly on any body you decide to put it on. That said, it may be a bit front heavy an a light body like the 600D.</p>

<p>50/1.4 has a lot of AF failures, probably because the unusual combination of micro USM and FTM. <a href="00RHwa">Here</a> is an example thread discussing the problem.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>I agree with Sarah Fox--people are going to have different opinions, and while it is good to listen to them, I would follow my own priority list when it comes to choosing gear. As a wedding photographer, though, I'd say the following (this is only my opinion--others may have different ones).</p>

<p>1. IS is not very important to me. I don't own any IS lenses, and I don't intend to put IS high on my priority list. I use a 5D and 40D for weddings. IS may help in a situation where it isn't too dark and it isn't too light, and you opt not to use a tripod. When shooting dim ceremonies (and other dim light situations), I use wide aperture primes, and a tripod if necessary. Subject motion will blur most images before IS can help you. I am old school when it comes to tripods. I learned how to use one quickly and easily and I do so.</p>

<p>2. If you are just determined to go full frame, fine. However, you can continue to use cropped sensor just as easily. It is up to you. If you go full frame, NOW, I'd actually recommend a used, good condition 5D, about $1000 or less (US). I am waiting to see what the 5D III is like. I will probably buy one if it doesn't disappoint too badly. For you, at this stage of the game, lenses are more important than body (IMHO), and a 5D (original) will be just fine, if you are itching to go full frame.</p>

<p>If you have a mixed format set (600D as backup), it is worthwhile to study your lens line-up. I personally use a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 on the 5D, and use the 40D for my tele shots during the ceremony and for other times. I use both cameras at once, with a Tokina 50-135mm f2.8 (equivalent to 80-200mm on full frame) on the 40D a lot of the time. I also have 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm primes, a 16-35mm f2.8, a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and a 1.4x extender. I don't bring everything with me at the same time. I pick and choose what I am going to use for what situations. Some lenses get put in my back up case at different times.</p>

<p>Yes, a tele zoom is handy for picking off candid shots from afar, but it isn't too useful indoors on a cropped sensor body. A 70-200mm on a cropped sensor body is just too long, and usually, still too slow to handhold without flash. I normally bounce flash and use a white card bouncer with the tele zoom indoors. Again--IS may help in some cases, but subject motion will usually blur things anyway. Even if you can handhold at 1/30th, you won't stop much subject motion--even if people are relatively still.</p>

<p>For you--I'd get the 5D, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (for the price, not because I have one myself) plus a 135mm f2 (if you can find one used for a good price). Keep the cropped sensor set as back up. I have the 50mm f1.4 and it is more delicate--I had to have it repaired once after dropping it only about a foot onto carpet--but otherwise I have no problem with it. Just don't handle your gear roughly.</p>

<p>The Tamron is a great lens but has it's problems, most of which don't bother me. However, the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 also has it's problems. When I chose a mid range tele, I deliberately didn't buy the 24-70mm because I wanted the long end to be longer, and I have heard about those problems. The 24-105mm seems to be a good lens, but I personally would rather have the extra stop.</p>

<p>"For you, at this stage of the game, lenses are more important than body (IMHO), and a 5D (original) will be just fine, if you are itching to go full frame."<br /> I think that it's very insightful conclusion. I'm humble person and getting the best possible equipment to grow up is my priority. I'm not itching to go for 5D, just to boost my ego that I'm full frame user. Being practical is much more important for me.</p>

<p>Sarah Fox "There are items here that are essential and items that are not. Personally, I'd forget the primes and get the essential zooms and the 5DII for now. If you can't afford the zooms and the 5DII, get a 5D instead."<br /> What are the practical advantages of 5D1 for weddings than my 600D, except of the better high ISO performance?</p>

<p>For dual system users (e.g. 5D+ 40D) do you often find as a plus the 9AF cross-points of APS-C XXD series?</p>

<p>Now I saw a offer for 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 used in like new condition for 1500$, 70-200 2.8 IS Mk2 new in my country is 2350$=850$ difference.</p>

<p>1. <strong>If I stay with 600D I'll be able to afford 70-200 2.8 IS Mk2.</strong> Just I'll replace my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS with Tamron 17-50 non VC.<br /> <br /> 2.On the other hand,<strong> if I get 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1, I can get for sure very good, used 5d1 (keeping 600d).</strong> In that case probably it will be wise to sell Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 17-70 OS to afford 24-105L.<br /> <br /> 3. Of course, I also consider <strong>5d2+24-105L (new) as an excellent choice.</strong> I just won't be able for sure in long period of time to afford the 70-200 2.8 IS. I also prefer shooting with 1 body(using 1st photographer back up in that case. With the money I get for 600D I may use for another helpful additions).</p>

<p>THANK YOU!<br /> Nick</p>

<p>The practical advantages of the 5D original as compared to the 600D are as follows:</p>

<p>It is full frame, if that is what you want. Full frame, by virtue of being full frame, does give better high ISO response than cropped sensor. It is a toe hold into full frame at your stage of the game. 12 megapixels is plenty to crop and more than enough for wedding photography. The real key to high ISO quality is not to underexpose.</p>

<p>I don't think the AF points make much difference to me--I am center point, focus/recompose all the way. I find the cropped sensor cameras misfocus more, because the AF points are larger and get 'snagged' on subject edges more.</p>

<p>It seems to me that you are being pulled by too many suggestions and choices. As a second, your present gear is fine. If you are having trouble making up your mind, I would say you don't really know your shooting style, and it is better to keep your money in your pocket. If you know your shooting style and preferences, you would not have much trouble figuring out what you want.</p>

<p>For instance, you just said you like shooting with one camera at a time. If that's the case, then primes aren't going to help you much beyond having some available for low light ceremonies. Indeed, the 5D (1 or 2) plus the 24-105mm might be good for you. Add a low light prime such an 85mm 1.8 or 135mm f2, and you can shoot whole weddings just fine, bringing out the primes when you need the wider apertures.</p>

<p>Again, I am not a fan of having the tele L lenses. But you can rent them for a while until you can buy one.</p>

<p>Thank You, Nadine! <em>Why are you not fan of the tele L Lenses(in weddings context)?</em></p>

<p>I JUST GET 5D Mark II Body New! I'm so happy! THANK you all very Much! Especially <strong>Yakim Peled</strong>, you are great advisor! The next buying is 24-105:)</p>

<p>Now I have to sell some of my 600D gear. I have good offer for my<strong> Tokina 11-16 f 2.8. How useful is that lens(</strong><strong>Tokina 11-16 f 2.8.</strong><strong>) for WEDDINGS? Is it wise to sell it if I keep 600d?</strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong><br>

<em>THANK YOU!</em></p>

<p>Hi Nikolay. Congratulations! I don't like the L tele zooms because they are too big, heavy, and don't help me with being unobtrusive. As stated, I don't value IS much.</p>

<p>As for the Tokina, it depends how you shoot. I don't use my 16-35mm very much, but on occasion, you just need the wide angle of view. It will also depend on how you use the 600D as backup. If you only use one camera, you could probably do without the Tokina, until your 5DII goes out for some reason, and you have to shoot everything with the 600D and you need that wide angle. Of course, as second photographer, it might not be such a big deal.</p>