Leica M7... chances used body will have old DX coding?

asimrazakhan

<p>Are there more Leica M7 bodies out there with the old DX coding or the new upgraded optical DX coding systems?</p>

<p>I am planning on purchasing a chrome M7 in EXC condition from KEH.com and was wondering what the chances are that I'll end up getting one with the old DX coding system. </p>

<p>In 2012, if someone has a used M7 with the old DX coding system, is there any way of getting it upgraded? does Leica still do the upgrade?</p>

<p>I bought my used M7 in January 2011. By the serial number, it was made in 2003. It had the original DX reader in it. You can easily check this by putting in a film cassette, and seeing how easily the film cassette will drop out. The original DX reader's feelers prevent the cassette from dropping out easily.</p>

<p>I sent it off to Leica USA in NJ in mid-2011. They updated the DX reader to the optical one at no charge. I had them upgrade the rangefinder to the MP finder (to reduce flare of the RF patch). That change was almost $600.</p>

<p>Leica Germany upgraded my older version M7 for free last year. They also CLA'd it and replaced the leather for free, though they did not give the normal 1 year warranty that CLA's normally come with, since they did it for free and without being asked. Pretty spectacular service in Solms...I guess they figured they had to take it apart anyway to change the DX coding, so they might as well give it a CLA...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought a new M7 with both the optical DX coding and improved MP finder. It is a great camera but on several occasions got crazy readings on account of incorrect DX reading, and this with the improved optical reader. Problem solved by just dialing in the ISO manually, like I do on my M5 and CL. Just don't forget to make the change when switching films of differet speeds.</p>

<p>Yes, Dr. Hoppe!<br>

The optical reader sometimes gets the film speed wrong. I put Kodak E100G into the camera, and it was reading ISO 3200. I had to rewind the film, take the film cassette out and make sure that it was fully pushed in. It then read the speed correctly the second time that I loaded it.</p>