Five ways the digital camera changed us

starvy

<p>Rob, I am pleased not to see the ipad mentioned as well. In a recent touristic trip to London I was taking a picture of two friends using my very old film camera. This guy was taking a picture of the Big Ben with his ipad!</p>

<p>The biggest impact is that most people can now produce great pictures, especially with high end cameras like the 5d mk ii, which gives you Ansel Adams type resolution on a camera the size of an old Nikon FM. Given that most people take snapshots of family and friends, the need to "compose" a shot like that is not as important as, say a sunset at Yosemite.</p>

<p>The 5d mk ii is likely to be bought by someone who is serious about photography and knows the basics. So all the in camera wizardry is useful but not a prerequisite to taking great pictures. That user quite quite easily pick up a different camera and apply their basic photographic knowledge to snap an excellent snap?</p>

<p>I wonder how many award winning pictures we would make if we only made 8 pictures in 6 weeks...now that is a great idea for a personal project. I might just do that :-)<br /> <br /> They forgot to mention one thing, thow. The impact that the online photographic forums have on improving people's photographic skills. That is not to be underestimated.<br /> <br /> I wonder what the digital cameras will look like ten years from now. I am sure that they will have invented something that we can't even imagine today.<br /> <br /> Great article, thanks for the link.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The impact on professional photographers has been dramatic. Once upon a time a photographer wouldn't dare waste a shot unless they were virtually certain it would work."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I guess that was why we had 250 exposure backs? This change did NOT occur because of digital; it is an outgrowth of the rise of the 'miniature' (35mm) camera. </p>