Fuji GW670III Shutter Durability/Accuracy Question

f._timothy_knapik

Hello. After doing the research, I believe the GW670III is the medium

format camera that would best serve my needs (and wallet). My only

concerns are the comments regarding the shutter. Someone said that

the shutter does not "seem" accurate. I have also read that another

person had to replace the shutter after approximately 500 exposures.

Can any users of this camera comment on this? Also any comments on

the general durability of this camera would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Francis T. Knapik

<< . . .Someone said that the shutter does not "seem" accurate. >>

It's always possible that some cameras & shutters are less than stellar examples of build quality, no matter the manufacturer. My experience with both the GW670II and GW670III models has been perfect and no shutter issues even after hundreds of rolls of film. With reasonable care, this camera could last a person many decades, IMHO.

Mine work fine and feel good in my hands.

I've used the Fuji 6X7/6X9 rangefinders for years. The shutters, made by Seikosha, are as accurate and durable as any mechanical leaf shutter. (Any shutter should be tested for accuracy once a year.) Fuji recommends that the cameras be sent in for a CLA when the 'odometer' on the baseplate hits 500, which is 5000 exposures. How much the Fuji technicians actually do as part of the service (aside from re-setting the odometer to 0), is anyone's guess. Despite my pleas for information, they were never very communicative about anything, although the camera continued to work great. On my first GW690, Fuji did eventually replace the shutter after its second 500-mile mark, i.e., 10,000 exposures. The cost was in the $200-300 range, I think. The only aspect of those shutters I never liked is how loud and "ping-y" they are. I always suspected that their springiness may have contributed to camera shake, but I was never able to prove it. When the camera was on a tripod (and often when it wasn't) the negatives were wonderfully sharp. For the money, they're great cameras. Good luck.

We have the latest 670 and 690 (actually, 2 of both). One 6760/690 is a backup and has had maybe 250 rolls through it. The other 690, and the 670, have at least 1300-1500 rolls of film through them. Neither camera has ever been serviced, and although they don't look like the day they were made, they do still perform like the day they were made. The shutters on all our cameras appear dead-on. Actually, I don't have a single complaint regarding the Fuji medium-format stuff - and now that I think about it, I can't say that about very many photographic items I have owned in my life. Buying used can be a great deal; often on ebay and elsewhere you will find cameras with a counter less than 50, and the camera is around 50-60% the cost new. In most cases, it appears mint, and comes with box / book / case. I mention this as this is how we acquired our backup bodies, and it was a great deal for us.

Francis

I've been using the GW670 111 for about a year now. I bought it new for £650 and have had no trouble with the shutter at all. When I first got it I took a light reading from out of the window and took the same photo, at at all speeds from 1/500s down, with the appropriate apertures. The result was fine. I did a contact print and all frames looked about equal in exposure. You'll love it.