Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #5

nathangardner

<p>Happy Thursday and February everyone! It's hard to believe it's February here in Kentucky/Indiana; the temperature was about 60 deg. F today and I'm not complaining. I've been taking advantage of the good weather and gotten out to shoot some ducks a few times this week. I finally saw a species I have wanted to see for a while now, and got a decent photograph too. I've always been amazed by the Hooded Merganser, but only from pictures. I have now seen them and can check them off the bird list. For me, certain birds almost have a celebrity status. When I see a bird as magnificent or elusive as a Hooded Merganser, or the Pileated Woodpecker, or the Whooping Crane, it's like seeing a celebrity; they're larger than life. They can take our breath away and make us realize that we are witnessing something special. What I always think is fascinating is that nature lovers all over the world spend lots of time and money, and travel great distances to view wildlife, but the animals have no idea of the esteemed status they hold.</p><div>00ZxD3-438459584.jpg.1f269cf9c04d231bf0daa7d187076ca5.jpg</div>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>We are back from a wonderful weekend at Daytona Speedway, for the Rolex 24-hour race there. Not much sleep, but lots of racecars and photos. I'm still working on organizing what we have, but here's an action shot from early evening on Saturday. We rented a 100-400mm lens for the weekend, and although it's a beast to carry around I'm very pleased with the results.</p><div>00ZxDD-438463584.jpg.4d049c4e975a726de89ab2db7e017c11.jpg</div>

<p>Nathan, I always enjoy your avian contributions. Thanks for bringing us the close up of the Hooded Merganser. I love that coloring. And Lupo, the detail in the sauce over the meatballs is amazing. I'm a vegetarian, but that looks to make me want to start eating beef again!<br /> My shot is from the nearby park again. Still trying to get better at birds in flight after my first attempts a couple of weeks ago. I'm finding it very challenging to get results I'm happy with. And that's not even trying to get out to the wildlife reserves and other more rural areas where they are much more elusive.</p><div>00ZxDz-438473584.jpg.5adf11bbe5aabcdc15248fbf1eee92ec.jpg</div>

<p><a href=" Kenna src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6787946183_1b9251c14f_z.jpg" alt="Kenna" width="640" height="427" /></a><br /><br /><strong>Kenna</strong><br /><br /><a href=" Kenna view</a><br /><br />Camera: Canon EOS 7D<br />Lens: Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM<br />Exposure Program: Aperture-priority AE<br />Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)<br />Aperture: f/4.0<br />Focal Length: 45 mm<br />ISO Speed: 400<br />Exposure Bias: +1/3 EV<br />Flash: Off, Did not fire</p>

<p>My first attempt at star trails, from last night.<br /> It looks like the tripod had a nudge, or it was being blown around in the wind.<br>

EOS 5D Mk 2, EF 17-40/4. 59 exposures 30 sec, f 5.6, iso-400<br>

<a title="Star trails by Peter Meade, on Flickr" href=" Star trails src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6805585611_ed64ce2003_z.jpg" alt="Star trails" width="640" height="426" /></a></p>

<p>Nathan - very nice shot of the Merganser! Funny you should post this...I was out just recently and saw a very large group of Buffleheads on a small pond. They were some distance away, and I saw what I thought was a larger one amongst all in the group. Turned out to be a Hooded Merganser. If you can catch one in flight, they are beautiful birds in profile with the white hood forming a large streamlined patch on the side of the head and neck.<br>

Jeff S - the first word that came to mind when I saw this was "abandoned". A rather haunting look on the child's face.<br>

Robin S - not so sure the cat is as thrilled as she seems to be.<br>

James F - good themed shot. I definitely thought "illegal drugs" when I saw this one.<br>

David C - I find the 100-400 terrific for races, airshows, and wildlife. I keep hoping Canon will update this one.<br>

Lupo - what do you mean, "I am finished"? You haven't even taken a bite. As usual, nicely lit and presented.<br>

Phil R - nice in-flight mallard shot. I use slightly faster shutter speeds and wider apertures, AI Servo, and high speed continuous. C.FnIII:1 set to one step above the mid-point, C.FnIII:2 - set to 0. C.FnIII:3 - set to zero. I have these set up on C1 for quick access. I'll fire off groups of three to six frames once I'm tracking the subject. Practice, practice, practice.<br>

Vincent - we would like to see your photo. Just size it so the longest dimension is no more than 700 pixels and it will display with your post.<br>

Dean S - nice lighting!<br>

Philip W - Interesting camera/lens combo. I like the colors in the CityCenter building windows.<br>

Mark A.K. - I love this shot! Wish the person on the far right was a little more in frame.<br>

Peter M - for a first attempt that looks pretty good! And yes, it does look like a little movement.</p>

<p>I visited a historic landmark, Ft. Macon, on our coast recently. It was an unplanned visit, just something to do on a nice sunny Saturday. Was lucky enough to catch a period dressed crew firing a large mounted canon on the fort's wall. Here's one of the participants.</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZxFA-438481584.JPG.bee5d00a6112071e588a8efe4d202117.JPG</div>

<p>Happy Thursday everyone,<br>

Here is a shot from last weekend. I had the pleasure of witnessing about three dozen bald eagles by the river. Around lunch time, all they do is sit on a tree or two and watch bird-admirers! But before lunch, they put a nice show on.<br>

Regards,<br>

Hadi </p><div>00ZxGK-438495584.jpg.f454e6dd0afe1e8132dba85b1aebdb67.jpg</div>

<p>We were sledding a few weekends ago and my kids had a total wipeout that I managed to catch!</p>

<ul>

<li>Technical Information:</li>

<li>Camera: Canon 7D</li>

<li>Flash: Did not fire</li>

<li>ISO: 100</li>

<li>Lens: Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM</li>

<li>Focal Length: 73mm </li>

<li>Aperture: 4.5</li>

<li>Shutter: 1/500</li>

<li>Exposure Adjustment:+0.67</li>

<li>White Balance: Cloudy</li>

</ul><div>00ZxGh-438505584.jpg.91ab28bc1784600e89b7d9470d50b1ac.jpg</div>

<p>Great shots this week, as always! I had hoped to get out to Pea Island NWR, but alas work got in the way. Maybe this week I can do that as I have my boss's ef 100-400. Of course he has been lusting after a ef 400 f2.8, and finally pulled the trigger on one; now we are both waiting for that beast. <br>

This week I'm still playing with the ef MP-E 65. <br>

Canon 7d; ISO 400; F10</p><div>00ZxH6-438515584.JPG.104b97d5c78342b1b34dd60e1503eb2f.JPG</div>