Using Mecablitz/Mecatwin flashes with the Metz N20 mains unit

james_smith55

<p>I have a Mecablitz 60 CT-4 that I power with the N20 mains unit. The N20 mains unit is a large AC adapter that you can plug into the wall and then power multiple Metz flashes. The question I have is can you use it with multiple Mecablitz 60 CT-4 units or can you only hook up one Mecablitz 60 CT-4 and everything else that is attached to the N20 must be a Mecatwin?</p>

<p>The second question I have is which Mecatwins work with the N20 mains unit? I've seen various kinds for sale Mecatwin 60-40, Mecatwin 202, Mecatwin 402T, etc.</p>

<p>My third question is how do the Mecatwins operate? Do they work in the same manual <em>and </em>auto modes as the Mecablitz 60 CT-4? Is anyone using this kind of set up? How much would you pay for a Mecatwin? Obviously prices will vary with age/model number/use.</p>

<p>I guess I'm wondering if I should even bother buying a Mecatwin. The 60-40's aren't exactly plentiful or cheap. Mecablitz 60 CT-4s with not much wear are spotted in the wild for prices that are less than what some very optimistic people are asking for Mecatwin units. So far I put together my modest Mecablitz 60 system with all new components and an AC adapter for less than $300. I see no reason to purchase what is essentially a slave unit for anything over $100 (new).</p><div>00ZrAY-432485584.jpg.f086f017f9f4193d7a149d3f636650b0.jpg</div>

<p><a href=" inside Metz N20 an inside view of the N20</a>. You can see that it only has one main storage capacitor, which means it'll only support one "dumb" head like the 60CT-4, and if you want to add another head it'll have to be a Mecatwin type with a built-in storage capacitor of its own. The N20 is simply a power pack like the old 402, but with a mains transformer and rectifier in place of the battery supply and charger circuitry. That's the only difference I can see between their internals. Anyway, its compatibility should be explained in the Mecatwin manual I see pictured there.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the response. I had seen the photo from the link you posted, but I couldn't make sense of it. If the N20 only has one capacitor that may present a problem. Oh, well. I really just bought the thing so I wouldn't have to mess with batteries. I just noticed it had another plug and figured I could put together an interesting lighting setup for not much money.</p>

<p>I don't own any Mecatwins at the moment and I don't have access to a Mecatwin manual. That is why I was asking. If I ever get access to a manual I will post whatever I find out.</p><div>00ZrUi-432849584.jpg.5d4ed0c2ec1ad28db04ad14928fdfe57.jpg</div>

<p>James, while we're on the subject, could you post what sort of full-power recycling time you get with the 60CT-4 and N20 combo? My old 402 only manages about 8 seconds with a freshly charged NiMH battery. Is your mains powered unit much faster? The transformer certainly looks as if it's got some "beef" to it.</p>

<p>Sorry Rodeo Joe, I lied. I actually haven't quite gotten around to firing up the 60 CT-4 with the N20 Mains Unit. I *gulp* haven't received it yet. It's actually en-route at the moment. When it arrives I will test it out and let you know. That isn't a picture of my N20 but obviously it'll look the same. The thing does look rather beefy. The shipping charges certainly were.</p>

<p>While we wait for my N20 tests have a gander at these interesting hieroglyphs I found on the Internets. One has to wonder if anyone ever used the N20 in such a manner. What on earth would anyone need a setup like that for, lighting an Airbus A380?</p>

<div>00Zs2t-433387584.jpg.cd143265bcb1389e82b007ac93774496.jpg</div>

<p>I love it. From that diagram, the N20 works even when the mains plug is floating in midair!</p>

<p>Seriously, I think it's just meant to indicate that you can hang up to 6 (7, 8?) Mecatwins off it. However, I don't think you'd need to be in any hurry between shots, since the recycle time will extend with every additional unit you plug in. Not sure how Mecatwins synch with the main unit, though. There's no synch connection in the standard power lead, and from what I've seen they don't appear to have an optical slave sensor. Perhaps it's just Metz magic!</p>

<p>Aha! Good old Mr Butkus. There's a <a href="http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/metz_mecatwin_402t.pdf">manual for the Mecatwin here</a>.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The flash cycle time for the 60 CT-4 with the N20 is published as 5 sec with the flash alone and no Mecatwins. It is 8 sec with the SLA battery in my experience. Also you can only hook up one two piece Mecablitz unit to the mains unit so you have to either get Mecatwins or use self contained units. And as you rightly predicted the cycle time extends greatly as more and more units are added. Please see the attached table for more information.</p>

<p>Also you have to be careful with firing the flash in quick succession. It can over heat. I'm not sure recharging it any faster than 5 sec will do anyone any good. You have to pause anyway.</p><div>00ZvHz-436613584.jpg.eb49cd856e581ee9542fd3ad8120062f.jpg</div>