Infrared focus aid?

dave_gold

<p>Hello all,<br>

I noticed that in total majority of my shooting cases (D7000 + fast prime lense)  in low light the only required thing is to help the camera to focus and not the flash firing itself.<br>

I know that few Nikon flashes (at least SB-800 I have) have the option of infrared focus aid without flashing, but using this option will still make me borrow this huge flash with me...<br>

<br>

I am looking for a small device providing infrared focus aid only... Doesnt matter if it is genuine Nikon product or 3rd party...<br>

<br>

<br>

Thanks everyone for your time,<br>

David.</p>

<p>Dave, I believe the SB-800 produces plain red visible light and not infrared light for focus assist.</p>

<p>The D7000 has a menu item to control its built-in focus assist illuminator (On-Off). If you also set the internal flash to Manual (another menu item), I think it's possible that the two will operate independently. In other words, you might be able to switch the internal flash off and the focus illuminator will still work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>you mean like the <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Flashes/4794/SU-800-Wireless-Speedlight-Commander.html" target="_blank">SU-800</a> wireless speedlight commander from nikon?</p>

<p>The SU800 uses visible, albeit relatively unobtrusive, red light for focus assist. Its assist light can work even when you are not using flash. I learned this from photo.net colleagues who responded to my question <a href="../photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00XmsY">in this thread</a>, which offers some detail.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...