Best polarizing filter (77mm)

ashishgarg

<p>Moose Hoya warm is good and affordable compared to B+W. I prefer warm polarizer but polarizer is not always the answer, you don't want to be shooting in bright light, but there are of course uses besides when it's bright. Polarizers are not always the answer, and you have to be careful wider than 28mm on full-frame because you can get a gradient of color transition of the sky, and you can over-polarize into blackness sometimes too.</p>

<p>If you want the best then in my opinion the answer is B+W MRC not just for optical quality ( I think you'd struggle to tell the difference between the top performers ) but from the viewpoints of build quality and durability. I'm not sure the extra for the Kaesemann version is justified unless you plan to spend a lot of time in humid environments.</p>

<p>Second the B+W MRC. Aside from the optical quality, build quality, and durability that David mentioned, the MRC coating really does work.</p>

<p>Your polarizer stays cleaner in use, and it's easier to clean when it does get dirty. If you pull a dirty filter out of the case, you're likely (well, I'm likely, anyway) to go "does this shot need a filter badly enough to justify the trouble it will take to clean this?"</p>

<p>MRC means you don't ask that as often, and the answer is different, because the trouble is less...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you live in the US, the most expensive circular polarizer you can afford from BHPhoto.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. The most expensive filters at B&J are likely to be Heliopan. B&H, like most American distributors, has Heliopan filters at about 30% more than the equivalent B+W filters. There's no real difference in quality, it's just that the exclusive American distributor for Heliopan takes a big extra chunk. So, if you buy Heliopan, you're just making a donation to a distributor whose ethics I question. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>So, if you buy Heliopan, you're just making a donation to a distributor whose ethics I question.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I had the "pleasure" of dealing with said distributor a few years back. One of the rudest encounters I have ever experienced. I will never again buy another Heliopan filter for as long as I can draw a breath, and I'll actively encourage the same for anyone looking to buy a filter.</p>

<p>I will concur with the recommendations above for a B+W MRC filter. Hard coatings, Schott glass, superb fit and finish. Every bit as good (actually better) as the Heliopan, without any of the arrogance.</p>