Glacier Update

ken c oshkosh, wi

I got back from Olympic NP last week. Things are still pretty snowy in the high elevations, including Hurricane Ridge (you can drive to Hurricane Ridge, but bring your snowshoes if you want to hike). Makes for nice snowy mountain peaks though.

Of course the rainforests and shoreline are as beautiful as ever, and the wildlife are more abundant in the lower elevations because of the snow. Wildlflowers are nice in the lower elevations as well.

I just got back from Olympic last week as well. I stayed at the coastline, however, so I can't really judge the conditions of the higher elevations. As far as the coast goes, the weather was excellent and the wildlife was abundant. If you get the chance, I sincerely recommend Toliak Point. It's about 6.5 miles from the Third Beach trail head. There were two Bald Eagles that sat probably 100 yards from our tent all day every day. There were about 20-30 sea lions lounging about on the far side of the lagoon area that is exposed during low tide. There were also plenty of mule deer that came down to the beach and allowed me to get extremely close to them (Within 20 yards) in plain view. And the lagoon itself is full of sea life such as Sea otters, star fish, sea anemones, and crabs. I also saw several sea otters, a whale carcas, and an assortment of other wildlife. Apart from the wildlife, the awesome rock formations make for interesting coastal sunset pictures. As I said earlier, if you have the time and the inclination, Toliak and the surrounding area is definitely worth a trip.