LBA Samyang 8mm

mggm59

<p>Hallo everybody<br>

I am Maurizio and I am an LB addict.<br>

I tried stopping, and I actually sold four lenses lately, but when I saw a Samyang fisheye staring at me from an Ebay ad in a slightly cheap UK auction, I could not resist sniping it... Trouble is, I won for just 5 Euros above base price.<br>

First pics handeld of my work table at 0.4" are not bad at all and...<br>

I see, I should not speak positively about my addiction. Yes, really, it's a bad lens, and I am a bad guy.<br>

To make up for that I put for sale my old and faithful Zenitar, that follows me since MX times.<br>

Is that so bad, doctor? Can I recover? Trouble is, I am dreaming of a 4-500 tele now.... and a compact superzoom, and..<br>

Ok, I shut up</p>

<p>Congratulations on the lens!</p>

<p>I've been slowly downsizing my gear. But I can understand LBA, especially if photography is your primary hobby.</p>

<p>When I sold my Sigma 10-20mm, I had the Bower on my watch list as a replacement for the wide end of the Sigma. I have the 15mm and 21mm, and both of those are quite small. Since I rarely "need" a 8 or 10mm UWA, the 8mm would be a purpose driven lens, not a carry around lens. It seems like the quality is relatively good for such a wide angle lens and at such a low price.</p>

<p>Looking forward to more photos from it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought it because the tests were putting it a little above the 10-17 Pentax zoom, and being a prime I could believe it. The weather does not allow to use it much for testing yet. Let's see when the sunshine will come out (during a non-working day, that is). <br>

Construction however is quite good, the only issue is that fitting it requires quite an effort to turn it to lock, is that similar to the experience of other users?</p>

<p>I have the Rokinon version and I agree it's a lot of fun. As far as LBA, at least this lens isn't that expensive compared to many so it could be worse! (that's what I told myself anyway)<br>

I like try to remember to bring mine with me regularly, but i go through phases. I typically carry a couple of Limiteds and one bigger lens when I go on a photo expedition. The Rokinon is probably that other lens 25% of the time depending on the outing.</p>

<p>This is a great fisheye lens. They make it for MFT too - I might sell the DSLR version and get that one instead.</p>

<p>I recently looked at an original size 10mm shot from the 10-17 and my impression was that it has more lateral CA and they appear closer to the center than in the case of the Samyang. Sharpness appeared to be comparable.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I took it for a walk in the first sunny weekend, after a light snowfall, and then I compared it to my 12-24 on my standard test (houses in my backyard). Not bad, some very bad color fringing in some conditions, good resistance to flare, a slightly muddy look in some other, but all in all, not bad.<br>

Full size pictures are at<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/porcelainsbysilvana/6826126677/in/photostream/<br>

and around there. I'll try to post some here too</p>