Recent portrait. Lighting technique

Alex

<p>Last week I started reading strobist Lighting 102 and it gave me the inspiration to finished an idea I had on my mind for a while. I've attached the image I did of my wife here and a link if anyone of you care to know a bit more the ABC's of the lighting set up and so forth. <br /> http://wp.me/pEkPi-e5<br /> I always appreciate learning from people here and give anything I can in return. I hope this might help someone here.<br /> Regards<br /> Alex Elias</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Richard the lamp shade has 3 sections and I would get one of the partitions in just about any position I place it. Thanks for the observation though.<br>

Mike. The snoot fits the 580EX pretty tight it would not fit the 580 EXII it works quite well.<br>

Regards<br>

Alex</p>

<p>Love the hue of warmth in the shot. Was there any editing required like WB to get that warm hue? Thanks for the detailed setup. That image has got some serious ambience.</p>

<p>So there's a strobe in the box, too, covered by a paper towel? I'm not familiar with all the equipment except the Pringles can, paper towel and foil.</p>

<p>I know, I'm a disgrace to the photographer's craft.</p>

<p>Tim you are far from a disgrace, I already saw your work. The ambiance color comes from the flashes that were gelled with orange films (that is what I make a reference to 1/2 cut or 3/4 cut CTO ) plus I changed the white balance on the camera to match the color cast I introduced by gelling those lights. Very little editing was done to it.<br>

The one area I worked the color temp on post work was my wife's face. It was a bit warmer than I wanted to so I cooled down her face slightly.<br>

The paper towel inside of the box helped to diffuse the light and make it softer. I you click on the original post link that will take you to my blog and that gives more details as to how I did the shot.<br>

Thanks for your comments.<br>

Alex</p>

Thank you Mark I'm glad you found it useful. This is one more reason I love my wife and I'm happy married. We took

quite a few pictures to get this one. Too much light here too little there no reflection on the lid box and so forth, she was

tired from a days work and then put up with my ideas after that. What a hobby...

• 4 weeks later...