The Sun 24mm F2.5 k-mount is a sleeper lens

markus maurer

<p>Hi Pentaxians<br>

During my crappy lens project I started to like the Sun 24mm F2.5 auto-wide results with the Pentax *istDand now I'm pretty sure that it is quite a good lens. I do not have a matching 58mm hood for it yet but the following samples are indoor at the artists house anyway. I did not find any information regarding this lens beside some sell ads on the bay, what do you think?</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZshU-434093584.jpg.9e769414da02f3210fb3f8ede7d94176.jpg</div>

<p>My experience is that most lenses perform acceptably indoors where light is less challenging, but issues tend to appear outdoors due to stronger light sources or to light coming at different angles than indoors. It is outdoors that CA issues start becoming bothersome too.</p>

<p>So my observation would be that it is hard to judge the quality of a lens from indoor shots and small sample sizes. And if you are happy with it and if it produces the results that you expect, then it doesn't even really matter whether on an objective scale it is a good lens or not.</p>

<p>I have a Soligor 24/2.5 which looks exactly like your Sun lens. Mine is in Nikon AIS mount and is a decent performer on film. On the Pentax you are only using the central portion of the image circle so that helps with performance too. The Vivitar T4 and TX 24/2.8 lenses are not the same. I have both and have used the T4 lens more. It's a decent performer. The same lens, also made by Tokina, was made in Fixed Mount. I have one of those in Konica AR mount. </p>

<p>Thanks Laurentiu, Jeff, Paul and Michel!<br>

The great fun I have using this old glass for $10 on my nearly "classical" digital Pentax *istD body is not measurable. I agree mostly with you Laurentiu, but even indoors I can judge sharpness, distortion and color rendition of a lens and of course the build quality and handling. I expect a lot of flare and the usual CA outside but I get that with much more expensive or even DA lenses as well. Did you notice the nice sofa btw?</p>