Olympus OM-D E-M5 Specs and Preview article posted

joshroot

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well Jim, Pentax must be doing something right because they've got us talking about Pentax on the Olympus forum instead of talking about Olympus.</p>

<p>That said, even though there are a number of things I like about the K-01, the OM-D is gorgeous and (aside from the smaller-than-APS-C sensor) it's everything I've ever wanted in a digital camera. The size, the weight, the shape, the build quality, the features... it's a great package. I'm just feeling a little iffy about the sensor -- not because I'm worried about image quality or noise levels (I'm sure they'll be fine), but because it's more difficult to create shallow depth-of-field with a smaller sensor.</p>

<p>I'm curious in the outcome of the resultant resolution and noise issue. Olympus has been infamous in producing sensors of less than acceptable noise and resolution for professionals.</p>

<p>Perhaps, that's why I have yet to see any professional photographer in the metro-Atlanta area use Olympus on assignment. I run a meetup group of nearly 130 photographers and Nikon and Canon are running neck-to-neck in popularity among serious amateurs. There might be one or two using Olympus and that's among serious amateurs.</p>

<p>I used to shoot with Olympus prior to turning professional, and I was never quite satisfied. especillay in the large prints. I extensively had to use Photoshop and NIK software to make changes and corrections.</p>

<p>The E-M5, because of its small size and weight, may be advantageous to a traveler or one starting out. I would not consider it a serious camera for the professional. </p>

<p>They're not marketing it as a pro camera, as far as I can tell. I think they're hoping to compete with the D7000 and the K-5, at least in terms of specs. The D7000 and K-5 are great cameras, but they're not marketed at pros.</p>

<p>Right now, if you want a compact high-grade weather-resistant interchangeable lens camera, the K-5 is your best choice. (The D7000 is pretty big by comparison.) It appears, to me, that Olympus is aiming squarely at that market.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Olympus has been infamous in producing sensors of less than acceptable noise and resolution for professionals. Perhaps, that's why I have yet to see any professional photographer in the metro-Atlanta area use Olympus on assignment."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe, maybe not. Nikon and Pentax often use the same sensors in their APS-C cameras, and Pentax is usually able to squeeze a bit more resolution out of those sensors, while handling noise as well or slightly better than Nikon. Yet pros prefer Nikon by a huge margin. It has to do with lens availability/selection (real or perceived), support after the sale, and to be blunt, popularity. If all the pros have Nikons or Canons hanging from their necks, no one but the most brave is going to take the risk of trying something different.</p>

<p>R.T., have you seen the previews of the Nikon D7000? There's absolutely no way that any Olympus dSLR can compare. I was quite impressed with its upgraded features and capabilities.</p>

<p>And, you're right about the angle of popularity among professionals; the Canon and Nikon name have the largest piece of the pie chart and Olympus used to have less than 3%, and they probably have less than that after the past year or so.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ken, I have a D7000, and I can tell you, yes they can compete. Maybe not on outright image quality, but on other areas. Frames per second, size/weight, weather sealing and construction could easily be superior on the new Oly. Personally, I travel a lot, so this camera looks really appetizing to me. Enough so to consider selling my Nikon gear...</p>

<p>I've seen the reviews. (As I've mentioned elsewhere on the site, I'd LOVE to own a D7000.) The EM-5 hasn't been reviewed yet, so I don't think it's fair to say that it can't compete, even if history would support that conclusion. If a particular customer wants the features of the D7000 in a much smaller / much lighter package, and is willing to sacrifice a small amount of resolution and high ISO performance, the EM-5 could, in theory, be exactly what the doctor ordered.</p>

<p>In response to the comments about this turning into a Pentax thread: I think that's because this is the camera Pentax <em>should</em> have made. It has all the distinctive traits of Pentax: weather-sealed, small size, IBIS, good ergonomics. Instead Pentax fans get the Q and K-01 and spend endless ink trying to justify them as appropriate photographic tools. I guess we'll see what Rioch does, but I am not fond of their own efforts in this arena so hold out no special hope.</p>

<p>In the meantime my second MFT body is on its way across the waters today. A shame I can't afford the E-M5 or it would certainly be on order (with free grip offer).</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I think that's because this is the camera Pentax </em>should <em>have made. It has all the distinctive traits of Pentax: weather-sealed, small size, IBIS, good ergonomics."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree. If the K-01 had an EVF (or at least the ability to use an optional EVF) and was weathersealed, I would probably be a lot less smitten with the EM-5.</p>

<p>I guess we can hope/pray/beg that the "K-02" will fix those deficiencies. </p>

<p>Anyone else notice that at least US pre-orders the only way you can get the 14-42 kit + body together is the all black body?<br>

Since I saw this thing I have been coveting it (in silver), but not able to figure out a way to be able to afford it anytime soon. I was considering selling an organ or two, but then I realized I might have some assets I can liquidate.<br>

Turns out my nearly 18 year old Magic The Gathering collection is worth a heck of a lot more than I ever conceived of (ahhh the beauty of Ebay). I think finally time to sell it off so I can buy the OM-D and maybe an extra lens or two depending on how much I can get in the end for the card collection.</p>

<p>The 14-42 + body kit and maybe a Pany 14/2.5 might be a good starting point for me moving over from my OM-1 cameras. To bad there isn't an inexpensive and decent 25-30mm lens in the f/2 range (though I hear Sigma is coming out with a 30/2.8 at around $200...though that is a little long and a little slow for my tastes, but might still work out okay).</p>

<p>Matthew Newton wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Turns out my nearly 18 year old Magic The Gathering collection is worth a heck of a lot more than I ever conceived of (ahhh the beauty of Ebay).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Certainly if you have the Lotus, Timewalk etc. you'd be raking in a fortune. Almost enough to support a camera habit! :-)</p>

<p>Sadly no, but quite a few dual lands and one or two other gems. Still haven't had a chance to sit down and go through the whole collection and check Ebay, but I am pretty sure even after auction fees and shipping, I should be able to clear at least 75% of the cost of the OM-D and 14-42 which should be more than enough.<br>

A couple of legacy lenses that I don't really use should cover most of the rest.<br>

If I am lucky I should be able to cover 100% of the cost and maybe leave enough left over for a 20/1.7 or 14/2.5 (that sigma 30/2.8 also looks interesting).</p>

• 2 weeks later...

DPreview just posted studio shots of the OM-D E-M4. It is head and shoulders above all previous m4/3 cameras, superior to last-gen full-frame (D3s and 5Dii) except at very high ISO, and even competitive with the NEX-7! Amazing. It is getting to the point where you have to compare studio shots with the Pentax 645D just to see how the scene is supposed to appear. Possibly the reason for this amazing leap forward is that Panasonic no longer fabricates the sensor.

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/blog.php?b=532

<p>I too was very impressed with the results, Bill. I compared it to the D7000 and K-5 (my two favorite DSLRs), and the EM-5 is as good or better than both of them.</p>

<p>When you look at the RAW samples and take noise reduction out of the equation, the EM-5 does show slightly more noise... but not enough to make a major difference, and the detail retention is extremely good.</p>

<p>I REALLY want an EM-5!</p>

<p>I've sorta decided the OM-D will be my major DSLR purchase of the year. The built-in EVF is what sold me. Image quality of the m4/3 has always amazed me. I got my PEN E-PL1 because the IQ was better than the Sony NEX cameras AND I could use a real flash on it. Bravo to Olympus!</p>

<p>Silver of course... I have enough black cameras that I could build a room out of them that would impress both the coal miner AND the black cat.</p>

<p>fast primes: good question. I'm not sure how many stops they're claiming, but they say that the new system is 5 axis rather than the traditional 3 axis, so in theory it should be able to correct more "types" of vibration than other systems, and should be effective in a greater number of shooting situations/scenarios.</p>

<p>I wonder what the deal is with articulated LCD screens... only Canon has the fully useful one that twists and swings out and reverses, like on the G12. AFAIK nobody else has it, including this DSL(no R) camera. I wish the OM-D's screen at least reversed to protect it. </p>

<p>Is Canon's design heavily copyrighted and nobody can use it?</p>