Lens shade for Bay CF 50/80/150

david_craig2

<p>Nearly all CF lenses have B60 filter mounts (a few are B70). For solid hoods, any B60 hood will "fit" any B60 filter ring, but the length varies according to the intended focal length.</p>

<p>The solution is to use a "compendium" hood, which has a bellows and can be adjusted (or a mask inserted) for any lens, from 40mm to whatever. There are inserts for different filter ring sizes, including a 93mm threaded adapter for a CFx 40. Compendium hoods are bulky, but are actually fairly easy to carry and use in the field. I use solid hoods if I carry the camera on the street or at events, but a compendium hood for practically everything else.</p>

<p>Hoods attach to the outer ring of the lens, so there's room for a filter attached to the inner ring.</p>

There are a (small) number of different bellows shades.<Br>First was a conical shade, with two round knobs on both sides of a double rail (one for setting, one for locking the extension). It needs lens mounting rings, which were available for bayonet 50 and series 63 lenses, and will fit C lenses ranging from 50 to 250 mm, plus the C 38 mm Biogon (and the F 80 mm lens).<br>Next was a conical bellows shade with single folding rail. It takes adapter rings for bayonet 50, bayonet 60, bayonet 70 and series 63 lenses, and will fit the same C lenses mentioned above, CF lenses from 50 mm to 250 mm, plus the 38 mm, and F/FE lenses from 110 to 250 mm.<br>An additional large, square bellows was made available that, with adapter ring, would fit series 93 mount lenses, and would be usable on the F/FE 50 mm, and CF 350 and 500 mm lenses. Also usable on C 350 and 500 mm lenses when these are fitted with the rear part of a series 93 fixed length shade (available for the CF/CFe 40 mm, F 50 mm and CF 350 and 500 mm lenses). I haven't tried it on a CF/CFE 40 mm lens, but it could work.<br>The last was the ProShade 6093 and 6093T. This one takes a different set of mounting rings, available in bayonet 60, bayonet 70 and series 93 sizes. It will fit all CF lenses, except the 30 mm, and all F/FE lenses. But none of the C lenses.

• 2 weeks later...
<p>David, aside from the bellows shades, which are, I'm sure, great for studio work, but perhaps not so handy in the field, there is a shade that will fit all three lenses. It just won't provide the best protection from stray light for the 80mm and 150mm. I'm talking about the "Lens shade 60/38/60 (40668). Intended for the 38mm Biogon, 50mm Distagon, and 60mm Distagon, it is the right hood for your 50. While it will also fit the other two, it is a bit too short for full protection with the 80; and way too short for the 150. Nevertheless, if there is a reason to carry the minimum equipment (and there is) it will at least fit and will be better than nothing on the longer lenses.</p>

There are some China made knock-offs of Hasselblad lens shades that sometimnes are sold for far too much money, sometimes are as cheap as they should be.<br>They are not perfect (the fit is so-so, the material rather less robust than it could be).<br><br>What i did was get me some, in bayonet 60 80 mm lens size, and cut them down to the correct size for the 60 mm and 50 mm lenses (or rather: i did that first with an expensive Hasselbld original, then got me those Chinese copies). The bayonet 60/38-60 shade is long enough for the 38 mm lens, but rather too short to be really effective for the longer 50 mm and 60 mm lenses.<br><br>They can be (shop around on eBay) cheap enough to get a set for each of your lenses without breaking the bank.