W/NW: MF Photo of the Month?

saintelmo21

<p>Bogdan - that's a nice B&W landscape shot with background stars (Orion) taken with a Mamiya 645.</p>

<p>Here's one I took last weekend - a B&W landscape shot with background stars (Taurus to Cassiopeia and more) taken with a Mamiya 645! Snap! Great minds, etc...</p>

<p>Mine's actually a B&W conversion from an old digital back. It's a bit noisy, but in B&W the noise from this back looks very much like real B&W film grain.</p>

<p>It's cropped slightly, as I applied a 4 degree rotation to correct a systematic lean to the left, also visible in the horizon edges. I should have levelled the camera more accurately! But I lost my handy hotshoe digital level...</p>

<p>I discovered something interesting from this photo. Look at the trees at the bottom. Tilting the camera upwards normally causes converging verticals, yet the trees are vertical. The fisheye projection seems to be countering the camera tilt, and keeping the trees vertical. That seems counterintuitive actually; I would have expected that the fisheye would make the trees point even more radially, towards the zenith just above the top of the photo. I will have to explore this effect further. I suspect it's because the trees were lower than the little hill I was on. Or maybe these trees are just wonky!</p>

<p>Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak Pro Back DCS645M @ ISO400, 24mm ULD fisheye @ F4, 30 sec, slightly rotated-cropped, B&W conversion, no noise reduction (other than in-camera dark frame subtraction).</p><div>00a2nB-444309584.jpg.8226cb94fa80ed37f25aa01facf17a20.jpg</div>