Is There Life After A D3??

gary_mayo1

<p>Selling off some equipment, and as the D3 is on the way to being replaced by the D4, I decided to sell my D3 now while they are still commanding as much as they are.<br /> I have no intention of getting a D4, slowing down on photography. Recently purchased a D5100 and it is a fun little camera.<br /> I have also sold a dozen or so lenses, trying to shift from a photo storeroom, to a average size Pelican case.<br /> Is there life after a D3, or should I take up knitting?</p>

<p>Maybe I will look at a D800 to take advantage of my FX lenses, but I rather doubt it. We will see.</p>

<p>What am I going to use the D3 funds on, if not another camera body?</p>

<p>Purchased a 30 foot sailboat, and I figure if I see anything memorable, they will sell postcards in the gift shops. For any thing else, my new Pelican kit (including video) is well covered, in a waterproof case.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I gave up on full-sized Nikons (F4, D1X) for smaller siblings (F100, D700, D3000, P7100) and never looked back. Smaller and lighter is just as good for my needs!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That doesn't sound smaller and lighter to me...... I would rather carry two big cameras instead of four medium size ones!!!! But that is just me.......</p>

<p>Actually, I'm a bit nervous that the D800 is lighter than the D700. I quite like it being weighty. Age of the tech aside, I like the feel of my F5, although more so with lithium batteries than nicads. Don't get me wrong, I think the D800 is the right format for me to cart up hills, I don't really want a D4 (at anything like the current price, at least), and I've never bothered with a battery grip for my D700, but a little solidity is nice. There's something to be said for the "too heavy to shake" image stabilisation approach. Using a smaller camera feels uncomfortable now - even my relatively-chunky Eos 300D.</p>

<p>Gary, one of my photography mentors uses Linhof large and medium format cameras, and has a full Pentax K-5 setup for his digital stuff. When it came time for him to buy a portable camera, because of his Nikkormat lenses, he bought a D3100, and has the 18-70 and 70-300mm lenses for it, using it without hesitation for his work. Don't be so caught up on labels like "professional." Your D5100's sensor has noticeably superior output compared to any other Nikon DX camera, including the D2X and D300. It also has the AF engine of the D200, which coupled with AF-S lenses, gives you pretty quick AF performance. So, as long as you are nailing your focus and exposure, the D5100 will give you superior results to the professional's cameras of just a few years ago. If you really find yourself missing full frame, pick up a used D700 after this summer, when the D800 and D4 have allowed the market to saturate. Two years ago, I picked up a 115,000 shutter count D200 for $150, and had it repaired by Nikon for $250 (rubber grips were loose, command dials were sticky, LCD scratched, and while they were at it they replaced the shutter assembly and cleaned the whole camera). Everyone decided it's obsolete, but it still gives me great results.</p>

<p>Gary, I hope there is, 'cos there's a small, round, smoking hole in your boot..... :-)</p>

<p>Seriously, I think you and the D5100 should be very happy together. I'm considering one myself! I've tried video on my D90 and it's pre-historic by comparison of quality, especially the audio via the stereo mic socket, and the more user-friendly interface.</p>