Canon EOS 5D Mark II or Nikon D800

vish_rana

<p>Hi, I am semi professional photographer and I shoot editorial for magazines and some advertising work. I ha

ve recently sold my earlier Nikon DSLR (D300) and was looking to move to Canon 5D Mark II and then sudden

ly Nikon announced D80

.<br>

So now the dilemma - whi

c

h one?<br>

5D Mark II is tried and tested and is a cult camera but on paper D800 looks

<p>On paper, the D800 looks considerably better than the 5D2, in practice I would also expect that it would be a significant improvement over the 5D2 - afterall, it's only ~3 1/2 years newer. </p>

<p>Of course it's not available currently, and even w/ release dates in March and April (for the D800E - perhaps a better choice for you?), there's no predicting when <em>exactly</em> you'll be able to get your hands on one. So if you need a camera now, you may have to consider a 5D2. Of course you could just wait until the 5D3 comes out... ;-)</p>

<p>I would have to say that if you have substantial investment in Nikon lenses and other equipment that will not convey to Canon that is a consideration. I do not think that I would consider the E model of the D800 if I were you due to its missing the filter which helps reduce or prevent moire. There may be some minor increase in sharpness with the E model D800 in some situations, but if you shoot for magazines this may be more of an problem than you think. Also a 71 percent increase in pixel density over the 5D Mk II may seem attractive until it is better known how well the obviously smaller pixels handle high ISO noise, and how much of a difference this imposes on computational capacity in post processing. Then there is the storage both at the time of shooting and afterwords to consider. In all the D800 looks like a really great camera and a nice bump in resolution, (maybe), but it will impose a number of strains on your infrastructure that you should also include in your considerations. I would recommend renting a 5D Mk II for a while to see how you feel about it while waiting for the D800 to become available. Then after it is out and you have heard from the early adopters you can decide whether to pick up a new or used 5D Mk II or the newer Nikon item.</p>

<p>From Nikon's site:<br>

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/features01.htm</p>

<p >Nikon engineers have developed a unique alternative for those seeking the ultimate in definition. The D800E incorporates an optical filter with all the anti-aliasing properties removed in order to facilitate the sharpest images possible.<br /> This is an ideal tool for photographers who can control light, distance and their subjects to the degree where they can mitigate the occurrence of moiré. Aside from the optical filter, all functions and features are the same as on the D800.</p>

<p >Note: The D800E carries an increased possibility that moiré and false color will appear, compared to the D800. IR cut and antireflective coating properties of the optical filter remain the same with both versions.</p>

<p>D800 makes much more sense than the 5D MkII. There is a camera that has been photographed that is a new Canon body that is very likely the 5D MkII's replacement. However at best those cameras will be similar, and Canon certainly won't adopt one to two of the features the D800 has.<br>

My money would go on the D800.</p>

<p>Pick the best tool for your job, which means: test; talk to/observe your peers; consider the mundane, such as support, repairs, rental availability, etc. It is way too early to say what the 800D might be like, so you will not get any meaningful advice anywhere, just lots of speculative musings. Do you want to base your business decisions on speculative musings..?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Like I said, the D800E is not missing a filter. The AA filter is still there.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>To clarify Jamie's point, the AA low pass filter is actually two separate filters. The 2nd filter on the D800E reverses the effect of the first so the light rays are essentially untouched. Rob Galbraith has a good diagram here.<br>

http://www.robgalbraith.com/data/1/rec_imgs/5563_d800_olpf_graphic.jpg</p>

<p>Another site has asked Nikon why they did this instead of just leaving it out but has not gotten an answer. The filters are probably part of the optical formula and it may have been easier to do it this way. The end result though is that the D800E is sharper but you can get more moire.</p>

<p ><a name="00a0t2"></a></p>

There are a number of good choices. D800, D4, D7000, 5D2, 7D, 1DX. All great cameras. All very capable.

If you own Nikon lenses, it might make sense to stay with Nikon. If you need a camera TODAY, the 5D2 is available, but

so is the D7000. The D800 won't be available for a while. If you need lots or resolution and you can wait a while, the

D800 is your camera. At least for now.

<p>It seems from what has been written thus far, that the noise of the D800 is expected to be similar to that of the D700, which is fantastic given the massive increase in pixel count.</p>

<p>However the high ISO performance of the D700 and 5D Mkii is pretty similar, or at least very little to choose between them. Thus the D800 doesn't seem to offer any high ISO improvement over the D700 (which if I were a Nikon (wedding) shooter would be very annoyed about).</p>

<p>Canon will probably announce the 5D Mkii update very soon..... There are rumours of two variants: one very high mega pixel version (to compete with the D800 I guess) and the other being a similar mega pixel camera to the 5D Mkii but with improved focussing and better high ISO performance. Of course these are merely rumours.</p>

<p>My point is this: if Canon release a camera with very similar pixel count versus the 5D Mkii but with improved focussing and 1.5 to 2 stops better high ISO performance then I believe this camera will sit on it's own in the market with no real competitors at its price point. It will be a winner!</p>

<p>So if you're shooting low light stuff, then wait for the 5D Mkiii announcement. If high ISO isn't too much of a concern for you and you want hair splitting resolution, then consider the D800.</p>

<p>@David Bell - Which is why as a wedding shooter with a D700 - the D800 isn't on my wish list - yet. (The ISO limits on the D800)</p>

<p>@Dan South - The D7000 isn't that available - yes, it is listed as a current model on the Nikon site, but trying to get one is a different matter. Amazon had them briefly last week, now sold out.</p>

<p>@ David H: I'm just very glad not to be in the Nikon camp given the D800 specs, as my primary focus is weddings. If Canon brought out a similar upgrade to the 5D Mkii, I would be highly peeved. I was seriously considering a switch to Nikon prior to the D800 announcement, but given the specs I now doubt that will happen.</p>

<p>@ Pauli: I agree that Nikon has the better flash system, but to be perfectly honest I find the Canon flash system fine and very predictable. Maybe I have just become at one with it over a long period of time. That said, I was looking forward to Nikon's better flash system if I decided to switch. </p>

<p>Agree. Have you sold all your Nikon lenses (and flash)? If not, stick with Nikon. D800 is not the only option, although that's the newest one with the more expensive D4.<br>

If you have sold your lenses, do you need it now? If yes, 5DII makes sense. A great camera. If not, you can wait for D800 or 5DIII.</p>

<p>If you don't have a legacy of existing Canon lenses and other gear, and</p>

<p>You actually need the specific features of the Nikon D800, specifically the larger number of photo sites, and</p>

<p>You must get a camera right away and cannot afford to wait at all, then</p>

<p>The Nikon sounds like a fine camera this month. Who knows what will come in a few more months. Switching brands - in either direction - right after some new piece of gear comes out is a bit short-sighted.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Nikon has finally caught up to Canon in full frame cameras and the 5D III will soon be out too. At this point the difference in the lens systems is more significant than the difference in the camera bodies. You need to identify if there are lenses in one system that are more appropriate for your needs/budget than the other.</p>

<p>I have settled on a primarily Canon system but have supplemented it with a few Nikon lenses, not available in the Canon system, as well. I use the Nikon lenses on my 5D II with a simple mechanical adapter.</p>

<p><em>" it will out resolve the Nikon lenses by a substantial margin"</em></p>

<p>Anybody repeating rubbish like that has no understanding of the issue. <a href="http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/02/why-80-megapixels-just-wont-be-enough.html">This might help</a> them a bit.</p>

<p>Now how much you actually need or want is a different issue, but that is a personal decision and not one that should be based on an inaccurate understanding of optical physics.</p>

<p>Assuming D800/E was out now, its focusing would be more to the liking of Nikon users, going to the 9 focusing points of 5D2 is not fun (unless you were used to it from other Canon cameras). D800 looks great on paper. By the time it will be available, 5D3 might be announced, so then you can ask the 5D3 vs D800/E question when 5D3 is not yet available in stores :).<br /> I was used to Nikon (D300, D200), then got 5D2, returned it within a week, wanted to go back to Nikon because the body "didn't meet my needs", no matter the image quality. <br /> For many 5D2 is great. When D800 comes out, it will be great too.<br>

There is the question of lenses too, does Nikon/Canon have the lenses in addition to the camera body you want? Both have great yet different lenses.</p>

<p>I will have and use both...not worried about one versus the other...I want and need the greatest image clarity possible. The 5D Mark II is an incredible camera. I expect the D800 will also be a great camera...None of this is inexpensive though.</p>

<p><em>" it will out resolve the Nikon lenses by a substantial margin"</em></p>

<p>LOL. The cool-aid still flows.</p>

<p>Many/most of my lenses (Canon, Mamiya and Minolta) outresolve Kodak Techpan. The film captures 75MP in 35mm and 350MP in medium format.</p>

<p>I think a 35MP digital camera will be just fine... And greatly improve people's toolset.</p>