Canon Repair ~ Irvine.... Sticker Shock!

kevin_break

<p>The people that you get charged $100 per hour for probably make $25 to $30 per hour ($50,000 to $60,000 per year, plus benefits). If you want to make $100 per hour repairing lenses you'll need to invest in repair equipment, pay rent, buy your own health insurance, fund your own SEP 401K, advertise and build a market to keep yourself busy. Way easier said than done. Most that try, fail.</p>

<p>It may be worth to become a Canon CPS Member: After a free revision of my 28-135, the Canon Service Center in Mexico City found a lose element and a problem with the IS system. The quote for service and parts, including changing the IS System, was just under us$100.</p>

<p>I would say the parts should cost about the same in the US than in Mexico (us$80ish), even when the cameras are usually twice the price south of the border, while the labor is significativaly cheaper. In my case this includes a discount for CPS Members, including free shipping back from the Service Center.</p>

<p>Worth trying Canon CPS: <a href="http://www.cps.usa.canon.com">www.cps.usa.canon.com</a></p>